fuel pump for Tohatsu/Nissan outboard

cdarbonne1

Cadet
any help? I have a Tohatsu 18hp outboard that im looking for a fuel pump for.. they don't make it anymore so can't buy it from the factory. any other way? Carb has been cleaned, new fuel filter, or will a fuel pump from another motor work on this one, if so which ones. thanks...

pvanv

Admiral
Re: fuelpump for Tohatsu/nissian outboard

The fuel pump for the 18C is integrated onto the carb. So you need a carb or carb kit. Unfortunately NLA (no longer available) for that old a motor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Which part of the fuel pump do you need, is it integrated to carb fuel pump or completely external ?

Happy Boating

cdarbonne1

Cadet

Which part of the fuel pump do you need, is it integrated to carb fuel pump or completely external ?

Happy Boating

the Fuel pump is external on the side of the Carb... I hope somehow it is still avalible because it just ordered it from a local marine shop... $70... hope they got the right part... that would suck...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Not possible to order a fuel pump as it is part of the carburetor. Some of the fuel pump parts are still available.

flangler

Seaman Apprentice

Its called a pump body. I was able to order one for my 1986 9.9. The original part number has been superseded to another. The original check valves and diaphragm should work. I actually have a extra one. They changed the nipple on it but it still works fine.

flangler

Seaman Apprentice

Oh and mine only cost around 12 dollars. Is it a A or B model?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Most carb parts should be compatible..

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

A pump body is not a fuel pump:) Hence our questioning.

flangler

Seaman Apprentice

If anything it is part of the fuel pump. There is nothing else feeding the fuel into the carb on those motors. There is two check valves and a diaphragm. That's what creates the vacuum. I believe that's what he was talking about. I could be wrong but I just replaced mine.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It is definitely part of the fuel pump....Just not a fuel pump. Splitting hairs would normally be pointless, but in this case Paul and I were trying to determine what engine he had or what he was replacing for $70.00.

flangler

Seaman Apprentice

You are totally right because a pump body shouldn't cost that much! It sounds like maybe he bought everything that goes with it because those two diaphragms are costly.

cdarbonne1

Cadet

Its called a pump body. I was able to order one for my 1986 9.9. The original part number has been superseded to another. The original check valves and diaphragm should work. I actually have a extra one. They changed the nipple on it but it still works fine.

yeah the guy that ordered it for me was asking which parts i need and stuff... not really know what i was doing i said everything... I told him the last thing i wanted to happen was order just the parts i thought i needed, only to get them home and install them and it still not fix my problem and have to wait another week for more parts, i haven't been able to run this motor since i bought it 3 months ago.. i really hope this works for me.... how did you or where did you buy your parts? thanks for the reply...

cdarbonne1

Cadet

It is definitely part of the fuel pump....Just not a fuel pump. Splitting hairs would normally be pointless, but in this case Paul and I were trying to determine what engine he had or what he was replacing for $70.00.

Guru> yes I told him to get me the whole pump body and all parts that go with it. except the screws that hold it to the carb.. I know i might not have need half of that but... just wanted to be safe ya know... hope it works out for me.. thanks. for you help...

cdarbonne1

Cadet

Most carb parts should be compatible..

Happy Boating

I ordered the whole pump body and everything. didn't know what all i needed so got it all... I think there is one gasket he couldn't get but he said to use it without and it works just fine...... don't know.... hope it works... I ran it for a while when i first got it and it would open up and run full throtle for just a little while and it was very incosistent...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

18 Carb has one gasket placed between carb body and gasket pump body, have not tried running that model engine without it, but if there's one, it's for something. Have you tried running with a new fuel line, sometimes internal o'rings inside both fuel connectors wears out and gives air/fuel related problems...

Happy Boating

cdarbonne1

Cadet

18 Carb has one gasket placed between carb body and gasket pump body, have not tried running that model engine without it, but if there's one, it's for something. Have you tried running with a new fuel line, sometimes internal o'rings inside both fuel connectors wears out and gives air/fuel related problems...

Happy Boating

Im wandering if i could buy the gasket material and cut my own? I though about getting new fuel line for it too... they did show some cracks. thank you for you help...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Sure...Just make sure it is the exact thickness. Otherwise you will have an issue. Also, the gasket is there to provide the distance the diaphragm needs for the correct flutter.

cdarbonne1

Cadet

Well, installed the pump body and boat runs a little better, I guess, now going to try new fuel line... someone told me it might be the coil pack, or CD unit?? ignition to the spark? i don't know, what are the tale tale signs of needing a coilpack? or whatever it is called? thanks.

pvanv

Admiral

The only way to properly and definitively repair the motor is with the aid of the Factory service manual. In it you will find the testing procedures and values for the ignition system. Anything else is just randomly changing parts with your fingers crossed. Keep in mind that many parts for your model are no longer made.