Honda BF15 Shift Linkage Problem

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings All...
I have a Honda 15 hp 4 stroke model BF15D5SHTA with a shift linkage problem. Here's the history... The impeller quit working and wanted to go on welfare. Not being too happy with that, I dropped the lower unit and chucked the impeller in the garbage. I disconnected also the shift linkage where the upper and lower rods meet and are connected with an "adjusting nut and a lock nut".

Put in the new impeller and reattached the lower unit, then went to reconnect the upper and lower shift rods. Supposedly, the adjusting nut controls how far the gears engage such that when it's in neutral, the prop will free spin without any gears hitting each other.

Here's my problem and question... Please see the attached pic. It's not too clear, but with a little imagination, one can see the lower rod sticking up on the left with the lock nut all the way down. A little to the right one can see the upper rod and adjusting nut sticking down. My problem is that these two rods overlap about 3 to 5 mm. The lower rod is rigid, but I can force the upper rod up enough to get it sitting on top of the lower rod; then I can engage the adjusting nut and locking nut. Problem is that there's no "adjusting" to be done as the distance between rods is already set to 0.

When I start the engine, there is a clicking sound proportional to the engine speed. This tells me that the gears are slightly meshed even in neutral. Not a good thing.

I have a 2002 shop manual, but I can't find any other adjustments to make. Can someone offer a suggestion?? Thanks in advance for your time...

Attachments

• Shift Linkage 005a.JPG
    Shift Linkage 005a.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 2