HELP!!! 2002 Tohatsu 5hp 4 stroke MFS5A2S 3H6, how to reinstall lower unit??

Hello, I just bought this motor and love the way it purrs and looks, the old owner took great care of the engine, sadly he did not do so well in the lower unit, pitted, propeller stuck, etc, etc. He is 85 and was not able to get the unit out of the water, so he left it in.... I took the lower unit out, cleaned it as much as I can without it falling apart, took the pump case apart and cleaned that, oiled and greased the lower unit.
The cam shaft and drive shaft are attached to the LU and now when I push the LU back into the drive shaft housing I get stuck about 1" (one inch) from getting the unit all the way in. The shift lever moves to revers when I push the LU in as far as I can. I don't have a service manual and have looked all over the NET and nothing, local dealers want $150 to take a look, welcome to Southern California, can someone please help me figure out what I need to do??? I would truly appreciate everyone's help.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: HELP!!! 2002 Tohatsu 5hp 4 stroke MFS5A2S 3H6, how to reinstall lower unit??

Odds are your driveshaft is not going into the splines, but rather striking the shift mechanism. Takes patience and a feel for it.

Re: HELP!!! 2002 Tohatsu 5hp 4 stroke MFS5A2S 3H6, how to reinstall lower unit??

Thanks Paul, so far I have tried patience and still unsuccessful, I guess I will continue and hope I am able to get this thing back together.

Hey Paul, patience pays off, however a flash light works much better :)..... I got it to go in, the problem that no one had mentioned is simple, if you do not use a flash light to look in the drive shaft housing while you push the drive shaft and cam shaft back in, you will never see if its aligned or not with the opening right below the motor. The next issue is to make sure that the cam shaft is in the neutral position as well as the shift lever, this took a bit of time, and where patience was applied, after that tightening the bolt that holds the cam shaft from the lower unit with the one from the motor via shift rod join was a pain, make sure to push the shift lever handle just enough so that the cam shaft drops but does not engage and than you can tighten the bolt. Hard but not impossible, one for the little guys that want to work on their on motors, and yes Paul I agree some work is best left to the professionals..... Thank you