Honda BF5 5 hp throttle hspft spring mystery -

sdanville

Cadet
So I rent out my 2002 honda BF5.

I knew one day it would get messed up. The killer is the last renter said they did not do this so I have no
knowledge of what happened.

I found a wire going from under the hood to the upper part of what I will call the vertical throttle shaft - it was connected to a piece of metal that had a pivit point..and was used to pull the part manually for some reason.

There is a spring towards the top of this shaft that has a hooked end that was disconnected. the spring does not seem broken..but i have not examined it much. I have lots of photos. not sure if they had the wire there so the recoil would work, or if it would shift of what. Very frustrating they claim no knowledge. That means a thief in the night stole my boat, cobbled the motor and returned it.

I will try and post a photo as my description must sound ignorant.

steve

Attachments

• Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0

sdanville

Cadet
USER ERROR Hondea BF5.

USER ERROR Hondea BF5.

INITIAL RESULTS. So I bought a case and invited two smart pals over to
look at the BF5.

Conclusion is there is nothing wrong but user error. The user must have found the motor would not start in
gear.

Not thinking.....he took off the cover and found if he wired the safetly stop out of the way, the motor could be
started in gear.

So the user, rather than putting the motor in Neutral to start the motor, rigged it to start in gear.
I am temped to use lots of adjectives to describe this user, but will refrain.

Hope this thread helps someone some day. I still have not found photos on the engine of a BF5 to confirm
mine looks stock.

===================================================================