How to winterize Honda vtec 90

gasman1

Cadet
Just wondering if anyone winterizes their own motor and what is involved? I know I would have to change the oil and filter and stabilize the fuel and let it run through the motor but should you change the lower unit oil? Is there anything else other than greasing the fittings? I had an etec before and other then the fogging routine you didnt have to do anything else for 3 years. Know this is a ways off but thought I would find out in advance if it was something I could do.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to winterize Honda vtec 90

There are a few things I did when winterizing any OB in the cold winters. Oil change, Lower unit grease might have some water in it and could freeze so change it, fogging, stabil, grease all fittings, spray all wiring and everything under cowl with WD40, remove prop and clean and grease shaft, store motor in down position so any water getting into prop will drain off. I liked to have it all ready to go in the spring so I wouldn't have to do anything except charge the batteries. Also grease up the trailer.
Being in Florida now I think I will just do the same thing except the storage part will probably be at the dock.

boatsngoats

Cadet
Re: How to winterize Honda vtec 90

Yes yes yes.. To all. The last post was very accurate too with the things needed. I'm from Ohio and now I live in Washington so winterizing is kinda in my blood...

Anyways, with any Vtec you HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL! Vtec runs off of oil pressure and poor oil change maintenance is usually tied to Any Vtec failure. Changing the grerlube is essential too because if there is a leak and water is in there it will freeze and crack the casing. Plus winter is a great time to fix that stuff so you are not working on it when you want to play in the water next year.

Fogging oil is easy and keeps the cylinders lubricated for the layup. I usually did this step last after everything is done. (on an efi engine) All you do is shut the motor off, let it cool a little, remove the plugs, and spray about 1to 2 seconds worth of fog oil in each cylinder. Then, either spin the flywheel 2 revolutions by hand, or bump the starter (with the lanyard DISCONNECTED) to distribute the oil. Put the plugs back in, tilt the motor, put tape over the hub of the prop (to keep water from getting in the hub and freezing), disconnect the battery... And light a fire because it's probably cold outside. Pour some Baileys in your coffee and watch football.