Honda with a kicker set up

mfitz

Recruit
I have a 150 Honda with a 9.9 kicker. I run the kicker for trolling only and have run in with the kicker down and tilted at various times. When tilted the kicker will bounce as it lifts from the second click up to as high as it can go before hitting the inside of the boat.
Two weeks ago I noticed the prop on the kicker was loose, about 1/8 of an inch. I tightened it up and couldn't think of why it would be loose? My friend mentioned that running with the kicker down may have done something to the kicker because it might not be designed to have the prop spin at the speeds the 150 reaches. I tightened the prop and checked the manual to make sure something hadn't fallen out. The manual recommends checking the [prop every trip so I'm getting a feeling something is setting? as you use the motor????
Anyway last week when using the boat I shut the kicker down but forgot to pull it out of gear. We ran in and when coming off of plane I heard a clunk and looked back to find the kicker was running. I believe the prop being moved thru the water actually jump started the kicker. Again does anyone know what damage may have happened due to that? obviously the prop would have been revolving much faster than the engine would have ever gotten it to spin and what damage might have been done to the engine components if any due to this? Would it have tried to rev the kicker engine to match the prop? I would like to pull the kicker out of the water when running on the big motor but I can only get it up two clicks due to the tiller handle hitting the inside of the boat. Hopefully I haven't damaged something.
Pretty sure I'm not the first to have had something like this happen. Can anyone shed some light on potential damage and how I can prevent this from happening down the road.

I did notice the cooling stream is not as strong as it used to be so I'm thinking when running in on the main engine the kicker wasn't pulling in as much water as it usually would at the slower speeds and wore the impellar a bit. i did run the kicker for another evening of fishing and had no issues, at least none that I know of. I called one dealer to ask these questions to and they were clueless, so I figure to check a forum where the more eductated users reside, lol.
thanks,
Mark