6HP Tohatsu - drive shaft hangs after water pump impeller replacement

gallilaw

Cadet
After replacing a worn impeller, re-assembly became impossible because the drive shaft won't insert all the way. I have tried everything I can think of.

This morning I tried to insert the drive shaft ONLY without even a bothering with the shift linkage clamp. I turned the lower unit 90 degrees so that only the drive shaft was inside the shaft housing and the lower shift rod was outside the housing. I inserted the drive shaft and, as usual, it encountered a hard bump. Whatever it bumps into forces the shift lever into the forward position so that the lever doesn't move even though the shift rod is not connected to the lower unit at all.

I have tried to insert the drive shaft with the shift lever in rear, neutral and forward, and same thing happens: the drive shaft pushes the shift lever forward and the system locks even before the drive shaft is fully seated. Something invisible in the linkage is making life miserable for me.

I thought reading online instructions and watching a video would make the project doable in not much time. Ouch. I am going to order a factory service manual, obviously, but I would appreciate some help getting the system back together in the meantime.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 6HP Tohatsu - drive shaft hangs after water pump impeller replacement

It requires the feel of an experienced outboard mechanic. You are hitting the internal shift lever; and are nowhere near the crankshaft splines. Reverse should be engaged so that you can access the bolt in the rod coupler through the grommet hole in the side of the exhaust housing.

any luck? I have the same problem with my 2002 tohatsu 5hp 4 stroke....

pvanv

Admiral

Again... It requires the feel of an experienced outboard mechanic. You are hitting the internal shift lever; and are nowhere near the crankshaft splines. Reverse should be engaged so that you can access the bolt in the rod coupler through the grommet hole in the side of the exhaust housing.