Cannot reattach lower unit on a Nissan NS8B

notsmechanic

Recruit
I jumper right in and took off my lower unit without noting the gear position or disconnecting the shift linkage. When I tried to put the lower unit back on I could not get it together, it jams up about 3 inches apart.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Cannot reattach lower unit on a Nissan NS8B

It's a matter of feel. You can put the shifter in R, and pull up the cam rod to F to make the connection easier. But that's not your issue... you have not engaged the splines and the wp tube until the last inch or so.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Grease well the upper shaft splines before assembling...align water tube and rotate whlyweel while pushing lower leg up to match crankshaft's inside.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

Be sure to never get grease on the end of the shaft, as that can prevent it from going all the way into the crank.

notsmechanic

Recruit

Thank you for the assistance unfortunately I still cannot get the two together, might be time to get a mechanic involved. This is worse than putting my old alpha out drive on.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to never get grease on the end of the shaft, as that can prevent it from going all the way into the crank.

You are right sometimes it's mission impossible to stick gear shaft inside crankcase ending if too much amount of grease is placed on top shaft, grease forms an air issue inside crank.

Happy Boating

notsmechanic

Recruit

The problem was the linkage had come out of the gear in the lower unit. The money spent for the mechanic was well spent.