'06 Honda BF225 lower unit bolt loose, question...

PhatFireMan

Recruit
Need advice,

I just bought a used boat, has a 2006 Honda BF 225hp outboard on it, 250 hours, runs great. I was detailing the boat today and noticed that one of the three bolts, on the port side of the outboard, that mount the lower unit to the mid-section, is slightly backed-off, about two threads worth.

The only reason I caught this is because as I swept my hand over it, the washer made a little rattle noise. The bolt is not "loose", I cannot turn it with my fingers, but it is not fully seated. I cannot see any gear oil seeping out from the lower unit seam at this time.

Before I put a socket on it and cinch it up, I wanted to be sure that there is not some sort of torque pattern on the lower unit that I am messing with, or sealant inside the bolt hole of some kind, etc.

Anybody know if I can just go ahead and turn it? If so, anybody know the torque setting by chance?

Any ideas on why this occurred and what might be going on as a result?

I have not had the chance to release a drop of lower unit oil yet to check it for milky-ness. Will do that tomorrow.

Thanks,
Kris

gss036

Commander
Re: '06 Honda BF225 lower unit bolt loose, question...

I am not a mechanic, but I would see no reason why you can't tighten it. It definitely should not be left loose.

PhatFireMan

Recruit

New development.

Tried to tighten bolt, would only move about 1/4 turn, really hard to turn, still not seated completely. Tried to loosen and remove it, same thing, it will only turn a little bit and stops. So it is obviously cross threaded. Awesome.

So the question now is...how do I remove it without snapping it off and/or damaging the case, and then how do I go about successfully repairing the threads?

PhatFireMan

Recruit

I had the boat in this morning at Jeff's Marine in Oxnard for some seller-paid-for minor repairs that were part of the deal, while it was there Jeff was able to remove the lower unit bolt for me. He worked it back and forth a bit, then all the way out.

The bolt was slightly galled, not cross-threaded. He ran the threads with a dye and put it back in with a dab of marine grease. Then he did the same with all the other lower unit bolts. Specialty Marine, who did the last impeller service, failed to use any anti-seize, or even grease, on the threads of any of the lower unit bolts. Lame.

Jeff is a real nice guy and does solid, honest work. I will definitely go back to him. I will definitely NOT be going to Specialty Marine any time soon.

Problem solved. Thanks everyone for the input!