Honda bf8a wont go in gear when warm.

byoung.pdx

Recruit
Honda 1998 8hp, I think that is the year but I'm not 100% sure.

Engine has been working great since I bought it earlier this year. Probably used it at least 50 hours with many many shifts.

Reverse out of sleep, neutral, reverse, neutral, reverse (linkage all moves but no prop movement), neutral, forward (no prop), many attempted shifts with no prop engagement. sail back to slip (lucky me). Turn engine off. Inspect all visible shift linkage. Working properly. Start motor, shift works to engage the prop for the first several shifts, then fails to engage prop. Turn motor off, more close inspection of the the vertical shift lever under the cover of the motor. Works good. Can see it moving up and down. Start engine. Prop won't engage.

So I'm thinking there is something wrong where with the the vertical shift rod assembly between the the top actuator that is visible, and the lower unit.

Take it home, remove lower unit. Shift rod assembly looks good (did not remove seal to where it enters gear box, is that area serviceable buy amateur?). Works well with the lower unit held in vice and me spinning the prop with my hand. By that I mean that spinning the prop causes to move/not move as expected.

Engine runs really well. Any ideas what is wrong?

Many thanks.