2000 Tohatsu 15 hp no spark

gbosier

Recruit
I have recently rebuilt a Tohatsu 15 hp that I bought second hand. After reassembly and reconnecting the wiring I found that I have no spark. I have checked and rechecked my wires and all are correctly grounded and connected. I spoke with a mechanic at a local shop and was given the omz values on the electrical components. After checking all of them, I did not get a reading on the exciter. I was told to set the meter to "200", and the reading should be 163 omz +/- 20%. Although the meter I have reads that low, it is not much of a jump from 0 to 200, and it is generic one size fits all meter. Should I go ahead and replace the exciter or should I get a meter that I can dial to "200" and recheck. Im working on a limited budget and cannot afford to waste money on parts that I dont need. Any thoughts are appreciated.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2000 Tohatsu 15 hp no spark

Do you have a 4-stroke MFS15A, or an older 2-stroke M15D2? Year is no matter. Why did you rebuild it? What was replaced? Are you using a good, Analog meter (with a battery of 3v or less)? Digital meters are not suitable for this work. Does "no reading on the exciter" mean zero ohms (short) or infinite ohms (open)? Coils typically have a wide variation, say up to 40 or 50%, and will still be in tolerance.

gbosier

Recruit

Thank you for your response. It is a 2 stroke M15D2. I rebuilt it because the motor had been run hot and scored the pistons/rings/cylinders. I had the cylinders honed and I replaced the pistons/rings/all new gaskets, and impeller. I am an amateur at best, but I have had the help of a friend that rebuilds motors. Im trying to figure out the electrical issue on my own. Im not completely sure that I am even testing the exciter properly. I have a cheap, 20 year old meter that must be analog because nothing on it appears digital. I am placing the meter in the ohms position and then I am touching the red lead to the red wire and the black lead to the blue wire. I have tried this in the reverse order with the same end result. I have also tried red to red and then touch the ground to the block. As far as all of the other electrical components (coil, CDI, etc), I do get a reading when checked. Still not completely sure that I am testing them correctly.

pvanv

Admiral

And what is your reading? Zero or infinite?

pvanv

Admiral

If in fact the coil is dead short (zero ohms -- the meter swings all the way), you will need 3G3060211M EXCITER COIL (2-WIRE) $67.58, available from any dealer, including me.