Honda 30 hp bogs under load and idles a little rough

1stboatgrandpa

Recruit
Will rev fine in neutral but when you accelerate in forward it bogs Still runs but not right,
Should I try a carb cleaner and which one before I take it to the dealer?

Tig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 30 hp bogs under load and idles a little rough

Bogging under load could be a fuel filter issue. Dirt or water blocking the flow. Try replacing the filter or at least shaking it out.
Gummed carbs usually shows up as hard starting and poor idle.
I've come to like sea foam as a carb cleaner. Mix up a stiff batch and run some through, then let let it sit for a day and repeat.

1stboatgrandpa

Recruit

Thanks. I bought a can of Sea Foam today. What do you think would be a stiff batch. 2oz per gal.? The gas in the tank is 4 to 5 days old 10% ethanol. I'll replace the filter and thanks for your response.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Try double the recommended mix.
Have you had much time to use the motor? I'm wondering if it's had a chance to warm up. Mine stumbles on cold rapid acceleration so I throttle up rather than just giving her the gas all at once. After 5 mins acceleration is fine.
There is an accelerator dash pot adjustment, which won't go bad but there is also a check valve in that circuit that may stick. That should not affect slow acceleration.

1stboatgrandpa

Recruit

Thanks. I'll try that. A mechanic told me to open the bulbs on all three carbs and pump gas thru them until it runs clear. I'm going to try that with the Sea Foam.

1stboatgrandpa

Recruit

Tried the 2 oz per gal. of sea foam -- opened the bulbs on 3 carbs and pumped a fair amount of fresh gas/sea foam mix thru. The motor idled a lot more smooth. Still bogs under load -- when I pull the choke out, it tries to smooth and was able to gain more speed than the last attempt but still not right (max speed 21 mph vs, feathering the choke). Gonna take it to a professional for a carb cleaning. With problems discussed, should plugs be change? The current plugs have less than 50 hours on them. Thanks.