Honda BF25 - Runs, stalls and then won't prime.

rob28

Recruit
This is my first ever boat/motor and was purchased as it was an ideal 'learner' boat for me. It's an older camp motor so has probably had a bit of a hard life

I took delivery in April and then carried out a general service - oils, filters, plugs etc and test run it in the back yard with no issues.

I then had it out on the lake about 3 times for an hour each time while I was learning boat control etc. The motor ran fine each time.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get it started at all. When I got back home, the neighbor came over, put it in gear, gave it 2 full twists of the trottle, put it back in neutral and it then started first time.
So maybe it was just my technique and inexperience this time.

Tried again back on the lake and got it running OK - spent about 10 minutes running it around and then it coughed, spluttered and died. Tried to restart it but the primer bulb would not get hard. Gave up and had to paddle back to shore..

The same thing happened again yesterday - but after about 10 mins of trying to restart, I gave the bulb a couple of more vigorous pumps and then it firmed up. Tried the motor again it if fired right back up and ran like a dream.

So, I've talked to a few people, read a few forums and I'm still confused.
It might be the bulb/fuel line, an air leak, water in the fuel, dirty carbs. From the symptoms above, where would you start?

It's annoying as it's so intermittent - It'll run fine for a while so you think all is OK, and then it'll cough and die.

Rob

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Honda BF25 - Runs, stalls and then won't prime.

Check fuel pump diaphragms for wear, excesive deformation issues, if ok, try a new fuel line, works miracles, seems a fuel starvation isue.

Happy Boating

rob28

Recruit
Re: Honda BF25 - Runs, stalls and then won't prime.

Update -

I managed to borrow a replacement fuel line to test this out and it solved the issue.
So $125 + tax for a Honda complete fuel line or $15 for an Atwood universal fuel line from Walmart.

It's now running perfectly well on the Atwood fuel line :)