97 Honda 9.9 Questions - won't idle

strauchfx

Recruit
I just recently purchased my first boat. I have taken it out on the lake 4 times so far, the first 3 trips went great, the fourth not so much.

The engine will run great when choked, when you push the choke in it dies. I researched it a bit yesterday on the forum and came to the conclusion it must be carb related. So today I bought some seafoam in hopes it would clear it out, and tested it in a garbage can full of water.

Same problem as yesterday.. (I also replaced with fresh fuel).

So I decided to disconnect the fuel lines and let it run out of gas (like I read), when I did this it ran perfect. So now I am not really sure where to turn, I noticed when I hooked the gas line up to the engine it didn't seem to seal correctly the first time and was leaking gas. I replugged it and it was fine after, but maybe it's screwed up now.

My gut tells me I need new fuel connector fittings (motor and fuel). But now I'm wondering if it may be fuel pump related? I am also going to try and swap out to the larger tank. When I am storing the little Honda gas tank, fuel leaks out of the hose, no matter what (vented, non-vented). So I took the line off the tank completely. Is it possible I am getting air in the fuel somehow? Is there some easy way to remedy this? As I mentioned I am a total noob when it comes to boats.

Could it be the vent on the tank? Does the amount of venting affect the flow of gas? It seems to me the motor is getting to much fuel and when it's idling it's getting loaded up and dies.

I really appreciate the help. I called a dealer today and the quote was horrifying.

John

strauchfx

Recruit
Re: 97 Honda 9.9 Questions - won't idle

Well, I figured out the problem. The o-ring inside the fuel line engine connector had a large chunk missing. Explains why it was leaking fuel when sitting and why the motor won't run. I'm guessing the vacuum is terrible and it's sucking in air with barely any gas, unless it's full blast while on choke.

I'm going to attempt to replace just the o-ring, but judging how I think that will go; I will more than likely replace the connector.

JS