How to replace prop shaft oil seal on Tohatsu 2 Stroke 8 HP M8B

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdrothrock

Recruit
I am trying to install all new seals in the the lower unit of my 2 stroke 8 HP Tohatsu M8B outboard. I am now trying to figure out how to get the prop shaft out to replace the oil seal. Do I need a puller? I have the prop off and bolts out of the housing. Is the thrust holder holding the shaft in the housing? Do I use a puller to get it off? Or do I need to get the housing our first?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: How to replace prop shaft oil seal on Tohatsu 2 Stroke 8 HP M8B

The shaft comes out with the prop shaft housing. The shaft uses an oil seal; the housing uses an o-ring. Corrosion between the LU casting and the prop shaft housing "spool" can make extracting the housing challenging. [Gentle] tapping with a mallet is the usual method. For full info, refer to your Factory service manual.

tdrothrock

Recruit

Thanks. I did get the housing out okay. Now I am trying to get to the oil seal on the prop shaft. Does the prop thrust holder need to be removed to get the shaft out to replace the oil seal? Do I need a pulled to move it? Or can I tap on the shaft to drive it out of the thrust holder?

The shaft comes out with the prop shaft housing. The shaft uses an oil seal; the housing uses an o-ring. Corrosion between the LU casting and the prop shaft housing "spool" can make extracting the housing challenging. [Gentle] tapping with a mallet is the usual method. For full info, refer to your Factory service manual.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"refer to your Factory service manual."

tdrothrock

Recruit

"refer to your Factory service manual."

Well I think we have been to about every dealer in town picking up seals. Got everything apart and replaced all the seals. As I was putting the shifter rod back through the water pump housing I noticed that it was in a bind. After looking at my parts manual I noticed it looked like someone had installed the rod upside down. I took it apart an flipped it over and it seems to work much better. But... I cannot shift into reverse. I think the trouble may be the clutch. But even with the prop shaft and clutch out I cannot shift into reverse. When I took it apart I did not pay attention to the order of the spring inside the shaft along with the spring holder and push rod. First I installed the spring then the spring holder. I then put the clutch on and inserted the pin through the shaft above the spring holder. Finally I inserted the push rod on the other side of the clutch pin. re installed but noticed that the clutch cannot be pushed far enough back into the beveled gear. Now I am wondering if I installed the clutch properly. Even then I am not sure the shifter will shift into reverse. Any help with the clutch assembly order or thoughts on why I cannot shift into reverse?

pvanv

Admiral

No need to go from dealer to dealer for seals. You could have just bought 3B2873213M LOWER UNIT GASKET KIT 8B $30.95 from any dealer, including me. As for the reassembly, again, you should: "refer to your Factory service manual." FWIW, the spring holder is inserter forward of the clutch and pin. Further, the cam rod should have the straight portion inserted through the WP and LU... the "jog" goes up, and forward. You would not be asking these questions, and would have been done long ago, if you were using the Factory service manual, Part # 003-21035-1, $44.17, available from any dealer, including me. Knowledge is power... and that book has a lot of knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.