9.9 honda kicker with fuel coming out of cooling jets

kbecker

Recruit
i have a 2010, 9.9 honda 4 stroke, less than 30 hrs on it. while trolling i am seeing fuel scum on water. noticed there are two jets spitting water..one strong, one weak. put my hand under the strong stream and it is tainted with gas...any solutions or explanations?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 9.9 honda kicker with fuel coming out of cooling jets

Have you opened the cowling to see if there is any visible fuel coming from anywhere - the fuel lines, fuel pump, carburetor, etc.? I have an 8HP Honda, and if the carb float has a problem, it would not seal the valve when at the proper level, and gas would keep pumping into the bowl, and then out the overflow passage. I would think you would see or smell it exiting in this case.

Aground

Recruit
Re: 9.9 honda kicker with fuel coming out of cooling jets

Hi,
I have a 2005 Honda 8hp which I think is the same basic engine as yours. There are two black outlet ports on the underside of the cowling, one is the cooling water and the other is connected to the carburettor drain. If yours is leaking fuel from one of these outlets, it may be that the drain screw at the bottom of the carb bowl is not tight and is letting fuel leak out. Both of the outlet ports are connected to clear hoses under the cowling - just follow them to see which one goes to the carb.
Hope this helps.