1990 honda bf15a dies at random

fishskiff

Cadet
bought this motor a year ago and haven't figured it out yet. I have cleaned the carb jet many times and even replaced the carb and plugs with new ones. The problem seems to be in the ignition system. the motor almost always starts up cold and generally runs for about 5 minutes and dies immeadiately like you pushed on the kill button. I have disconnected the leads to the kill switch with no change. So when i got this engine a year ago it died in me, i would wait like 10 minutes and it would fire right off and run all day fast and slow. Lately it likes to die out more frequently like right after you start it and under deceleration. Just recently sometimes it wont start cold at all. I did the spark test and didn't see anything. Others have suggested that honda ignition parts rarely fail, but I don't know the history of this motor and it is over 20 years old. HELP!:facepalm:

fishskiff

Cadet
Re: 1990 honda bf15a dies at random

Update: I went out and pulled off the cowling and it started on the first pull. Curious as to how i could diagnose the cdi or the coil i lightly tapped on the cdi box and what do you know the @#!$er died. I am now 99 percent sure its the CDI. Somebody please agree with me!

nemo2011

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 honda bf15a dies at random

what is the CDI box?