Honda 9.9 4-stroke accessory 12V socket problem

makassiouk

Cadet
I stuck the multimeter set up for voltage into the accessory output on my motor and found no uncle Electricity living there. Went up the cirquit with the same instrument and found nothing further up either (passed fuse and a couple of connectors).
There's a device (regulator) with a biggish heat sink on it - from that one 12V should be output, no? I have no idea how to test further...
If I rev the motor up, I see voltage climbing from 0.00 to 0.06-0.07. Is there an explanation for this?

1. Is the measurement device wrong for this task (something to do with impulse power sources comes to mind)
2. Does being or not being in gear matter?
3. What do I do next?

makassiouk

Cadet
Re: Honda 9.9 4-stroke accessory 12V socket problem

And when I say "accessory socket" I mean the 12V output on the motor which is supposed to charge the external battery.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I attach my multimeter to the 12V output plug on my Honda 8Hp (BF8A) I get a 12V DC reading. I also attached it in series on the DC amps setting, hooked to a battery, and can see the amps increase as I rev up the engine. Can't help you with what might be wrong in your case, though.

pvanv

Admiral

I stuck the multimeter set up for voltage into the accessory output on my motor and found no uncle Electricity living there. Went up the cirquit with the same instrument and found nothing further up either (passed fuse and a couple of connectors).
There's a device (regulator) with a biggish heat sink on it - from that one 12V should be output, no? I have no idea how to test further...
If I rev the motor up, I see voltage climbing from 0.00 to 0.06-0.07. Is there an explanation for this?

1. Is the measurement device wrong for this task (something to do with impulse power sources comes to mind)
2. Does being or not being in gear matter?
3. What do I do next?

1. Probably
2. No
3. Check to see if you have A/C feeding the rectifier. If so, you probably need a new rectifier. If not, the alternator (under the flywheel) is probably failing.

makassiouk

Cadet

If so, you probably need a new rectifier. If not, the alternator (under the flywheel) is probably failing.

Aha. Ok, thank you! What is the range of AC voltage that is supposed to get to the rectifier, then?

pvanv

Admiral

Depends if you are measuring peak-to-peak or RMS. From my EE days... Figure approximately the square root of 2 times the output DC. So probably about 20 v PP.

makassiouk

Cadet

Depends if you are measuring peak-to-peak or RMS. From my EE days... Figure approximately the square root of 2 times the output DC. So probably about 20 v PP.

Thanks a lot, man. I'll keep looking :)