Tohatsu TLDI 50hp with failing Remote Control Unit

Sven_Boot

Recruit
The Remote Control is of EPTO type and the problem I have is that the Lock Button is stucked into some kind of ? position and the lever is really difficult to maneuver. It seem to me there is a tighten screw with a kind of locking mechanism that cause the problem. There is absolutely no way to directly access the screw with a screwdriver since it is half way hidden between the lever and the unit box. Seem like I have to remove the Control lever but it is difficult to see how to do it even though I have opened up the control box. Any help from this forum about how to proceed is highly appreciated.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu TLDI 50hp with failing Remote Control Unit

It's one bolt....Visible and accessible.

pvanv

Admiral

Yep. It's a single screw, and should have a washer under its head. Located on the "back" of the lever, just above the main body of the box. If you need more access, you can remove the single bolt that attaches the lever to the control, and pull the lever free from the box.

Sven_Boot

Recruit

Thanks for the tip. I removed the bolt (no washer) but the lever does not make any attempt to move and is really stucked. Do I damage something if I put a big screwdriver into the hole for the bult hit slightly with a hammer? Yes, I am aware of the threads...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Damage is always possible when too much force is applied. I would suggest taking your control box into a dealer and letting them repair it.

Sven_Boot

Recruit

I will give it another try and if it does not work ? take it to a dealer.

pvanv

Admiral

If you are talking about the bolt that holds the "square" of the lever into the control, yes, the square is slightly tapered, and usually will require a tap with a brass drift and a hammer to pop out.

Sven_Boot

Recruit

Thank you very much for all the advice I got here. The engine is up and running now and the Remote Control Unit is the way it should be.:)