Honda BF8...water/cooling questions....

ill13

Cadet
I have a Honda BF8, the "pee hole" is only dribbling, however the impeller is good.

I know that the impeller is good because if I pull the hose directly from the the thermostat connection, I get a good, forceful water flow.

I've only idled the motor, as I don't want to take it out and destroy it, but even after idling for 10 minutes, the block doesn't seem to get warm enough to open the thermostat.

The intake/thermostat cover is stuck on pretty well, so I can't just pull the thermostat and stick it in a pot of boiling water.

So my questions are;

Is this normal? Or should I always have a solid flow of water ?
How can I safely/easily remove the thermostat/intake cover without destroying it?

Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Honda BF8...water/cooling questions....

That thermostat cover must have a gasket between block and base cover, with time and use really sticks, after removing bolts that secures cover to engine, apply W-40 to cover base contour, let penetrate, reapply if needed, with a thin shim try to penetrate in between gasket. Could use a rubber mallet to appy some bags to side cover once shim has penetrated. Buy a new gasket.

If the impeller is ok and the pee hole is metal, run a thin wire upwards to free salt/debris obstructions while engine is on, should better pee pressure.

Happy Boating

ill13

Cadet

thanks!

so far i have half the intake manifold "loose", now it's soaking so maybe tomorrow I can get it off.

Wire didn't do too much...

ill13

Cadet

intake manifold is off..it was full of rock salt, gasket set+thermostat is on order [original thermostat still functions, but what the hey].

I think just the tell-tale was malfunctioning as i believe I felt a strong water flow from the exhaust port [under water]. If that was the case, then I didn't need to pull the intake manifold, but I'd rather know that the impeller is functioning properly at all times.

For my own edification, I'm planning on adding a CHT [cylinder head temp.] gauge via one of the spark plugs for all of my engines. a $20 part to save a motor is well worth it in my opinion!

ill13