Changing water pump and oil for 1st time on my 50hp honda, couple questions

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
What oil do you use looks like the manual says 5w-30 so just reg 5w-30 castrol motor oil like I use in my car? or is it a 5-30 marine grade deal mercury puts out or honda? ok now onto foot oil manual says 90 weight foot oil..is walmarts high performance foot lube the right deal for this? it doesn't give it's weight but it's what i use in my bass boats foot it's supposed to be syn i think.

oil filter do I have to get this at a marine place?

I got the water pump and I've changed it on my bass boat before is it pretty simple on these too or is there hidden barriers?

thanks all the ?'s I have should be an easy deal but she stopped watering the other day and ran hot checked for dobbers with coat hanger..no luck so guess it's the pump.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Changing water pump and oil for 1st time on my 50hp honda, couple questions

Motor oil is typical 5 or 10w 30,depending on climate.Honda oil filter #15400 pfb 014 should be able to be crossed at the auto parts store but I'dd stick with oem if I were you.Gear oil is hypoid 75w90 and that HP gear oil you have will work fine but keep in mind that it is synthetic and once you put it in there you are kinda commited to the annual expense.Water pump is a little diifferent but not much.You will need to release the shift shaft .Shift the unit to reverse and you will see the coupler nuts just below the pivot bracket where that little rubber hose sticks out that you probably do'nt use.Loosen the jam nut slightly and back off the upper coupler nut disturbing that jam nut as little as possible.After that it is what you 're used to.Inspect the housing very carefully for any meltage or distortion on the base.