Tohatsu 90hp lower unit problem

val80

Recruit
Hi, I have a Tohatsu 90hp which is 18 months old and I am experiencing an unusual problem. I went to the authorized dealer in order to change the impeller but when the mechanic tried to pull the lower unit down it didn't came down very easily. It was very very tight. In fact the mechanic had to stand up on the lower unit and by his weight (approx. 90kg) managed to pull it down.

Now we are trying to push it back in but with no success. It just goes in only 2 cm and stops there. We checked the bushes of the shaft and cleaned them as well, we even checked the small rubber cylinder which is on top of the impeller. Everything seems ok even the mechanic is not sure what might be the problem why it is so tight and difficult to push the lower unit back in.

Is this normal please? Because the mechanic told me that it should not be so hard and tight to push it back in. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks. Keep it up the good work with this forum.

Clayton

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 90hp lower unit problem

That is not normal. If you are in North America, I would recommend that your dealer mechanic contact Tohatsu at 214-420-6440. They will be happy to give him assistance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tohatsu 90hp lower unit problem

Turn flywheel CW while asembling lower unit upwards. If you have placed excesive grease on upper shaft or on splines, that could be a problem when assembling back, as has happened...

Happy Boating