Converting Tohatsu 8hp to 9.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

gethenet

Recruit
I just purchaced a 2006 4 cycle 8hp Tohatsu and was curious about upgrading to 9.8 hp. Do I need to change out the entire carb or just a few parts?? I've looked everywhere and couldn't find a clear answer. The manual is the same for the 8 and 9.8. My model # is MFS8A3.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting Tohatsu 8hp to 9.8

Get yourself a parts manual and check tech differences betwen both models.

Happy Baoting

gethenet

Recruit

Thanks for your reply Sea Rider, I've looked throught the parts manual and the everything seems to be the same except the jets. The parts manual is the same for the 8 and 9.8. The only thing that I am concerned about is the part number is for the carb is different for the 9.8 but the parts diagram shows them to be the same carb. I hope this makes sence...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Different carb, not a jet issue alone. So, buy the 9.8 carb and you will have an 9.8.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Is 1.8 hp really going to make that big a difference?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Should have slight better torque, hole shot, carry more weight, etc.

Happy Boating

gethenet

Recruit

Thanks for answering my question Guru. The 8 HP comes so so close to getting my boat up on the water but just can't quite do it. That extra 2 HP should make all the difference for me.

quantch

Recruit
Gethenet, I would like to try to perform a similar upgrade on a Mercury 8hp 4stroke of 2006 (which I understand is almost identical to the tohatsu model). What is your feedback on the tohatsu upgrade, was the change of carb enough?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Gethenet, I would like to try to perform a similar upgrade on a Mercury 8hp 4stroke of 2006 (which I understand is almost identical to the tohatsu model). What is your feedback on the tohatsu upgrade, was the change of carb enough?

gethenet won't be answering your question, quantch He no longer visits and was last seen after making post #8 in 2011.

Start a new topic by following the Help Tip on top of the page.

Closed,

Status
Not open for further replies.