Honda 1999 BF90 Shifting Problem

ksoulant

Recruit
Help, My 1999 BF90 outboard is having trouble shifting neutral too forward and neutral too reverse. I have checked the shift cable by disconnecting it from the engine and it is not sticking at all, smooth as silk. I then tried to shift the linkage by hand and could not; if I put some leverage on the shift lever it will shift, but it is extremely hard. Next I dropped the lower unit to take it out of the equation, and it is still very hard. The problem seems to be somewhere in the housing between the shift arm by the cylinder head where it enters the steering tube and where the shift rod connects up from the lower unit. I tried spraying with very expensive penetrating oil but no luck. If there is a bad seal that is frozen around the shift shaft I would like to change it out but there is no way to get to it without removing the power head. There has to be an easier and cheaper way. ($950.00 to remove and replace the power head for $12.00 worth of parts). Any help will be appreciated.

WayneA

Recruit
Re: Honda 1999 BF90 Shifting Problem

exact same issue with a 75 i see no response yet i actually hit the shaft with with a rubber mallet and it seemed to have more slack i also took e clip and let washer fall and put e clip back in place this is at top where it goes to middle section shifting is alot looser and goes into reverse now did this last night 03-22 and plan to put in water this afternoon see how it works let me know if you here another way or correct way without removing powerhead

Heckflosse

Recruit
Re: Honda 1999 BF90 Shifting Problem

I have dual 2003 BF200's. One shifts smoothly, one hard. I have replaced the shift cables and they are installed with plenty of freedom. I have lubed 100% of the appropriate points, to include the throttle assembly at the helm. I wanted to chime in to say the problem I am experiencing appears identical to that listed here. The lower end performs well. No filings in the gear lube. If I can find a solution, I will post it here.