98 M50D tohatsu dies when i put it in gear??

dedwards04

Recruit
ok guys i have a 98 3 cylinder 50hp tohatsu. been messing with it for about a week now and im running out of ideas. its kind of hard to get started at first and when it starts it will idle a little ruff and soon after die. i went through the carbs cleaned them, put new plugs in, new fuel pump diaphram kit, and changed out the primer bulb becasue the one i had wouldnt get hard. i bought an attwood bulb and it wouldnt get hard either so i went and bought a sea sense bulb and it built up pressure and got hard only once. well it seemed to be runnin alright on the hose so i take it out to try it in the water, it started up fine, idled ok, when i put it in reverse and gave it gas it died. did this several times. after i floated out a bit i decided to try farward out and it was the same thing. just as i was going to idle back to the dock i tried one more time and it acted like it wanted to get up and run so i gased it more and sure enough it took off. ran great. went up and down the river stopping and turning around several times. i thought it was good to go now. after killing it to get truck in the ramp i started it back and same thing. dies when i put it in gear and give it gas. what does this sound like. my airmixture screw i noticed is 3 1/2 turns out. could this be my problem? also the bulb never really gets hard but i always have gas in the fuel filter and its not leaking any where when im pumping it. any help will be greatly appreciated

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 98 M50D tohatsu dies when i put it in gear??

What does your service manual say about the settings?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 98 M50D tohatsu dies when i put it in gear??

Many might know some of these settings, but taken out of context, just listing some settings would be doing you a disservice. Doing repairs without the service manual is driving blind. I would highly recommend getting the Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me.

Regardless of brand, the primer bulb should pump up to where it's pretty hard. If not, there is a leak. Period. Either a needle in a carb is leaking, or the inlet check valve in the primer bulb is leaking, but definitely a leak.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you do a proper disassembly and 4-hour submersion in real carb dip, such as Tyme? If not, they were NOT cleaned thoroughly. What are the float heights? What are the link and sync settings like? You need the service manual to set those, and they will have been disturbed once you pulled the carbs for cleaning. Whip out a copy of the manual, start at the beginning, with the basics, and you will be on your way to proper tuning.