Steering binding on 6 hse Tohatsu

Detail nut

Cadet
I have a 2 year old 6 horse long shaft Tohatsu on which the steering suddenly started binding, accompanied by a horrible screeching, metal on metal noise. Gets better, but doesn't completely go away if I loosen the steering friction adjustment all the way. Any ideas?:

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Steering binding on 6 hse Tohatsu

When was the last time the swivel shaft was greased? Depending on model (vintage, based on precise model and s/n), there are 2 different steering friction mechanisms, though both work similarly. Essentially the wing screw is used to tension a brake band on the shaft housing. If that's completely dry, or loaded up with salt crud, or if the bushings are shot/missing, steering could be difficult and/or noisy.

Detail nut

Cadet

When was the last time the swivel shaft was greased? Depending on model (vintage, based on precise model and s/n), there are 2 different steering friction mechanisms, though both work similarly. Essentially the wing screw is used to tension a brake band on the shaft housing. If that's completely dry, or loaded up with salt crud, or if the bushings are shot/missing, steering could be difficult and/or noisy.

Thanks. I took it apart over the weekend and found the factory put it together dry;no lube of any kind on the rubber bushings or the brake band. And, the brake band is steel rubbing directly on the housing! Of course it wore away the paint and now we have steel rubbing on aluminum.! The band has a couple of slots in it that may be for some sort of friction material but there is none. I can't imagine anyone would design it this way. I think there should be a plastic (or other material) insert that should act as a brake lining that was left out of my motor at the factory. I'll look into that.

pvanv

Admiral

Nope, no friction material. A little lubricant from the bushings allows the steel band to work against the aluminum driveshaft/exhaust housing. Extremely simple. Lasts for decades on end. There is a grease fitting at the lower edge of the swivel bracket. Was that ever lubricated?

Detail nut

Cadet

Nope, no friction material. A little lubricant from the bushings allows the steel band to work against the aluminum driveshaft/exhaust housing. Extremely simple. Lasts for decades on end. There is a grease fitting at the lower edge of the swivel bracket. Was that ever lubricated?

No lubricant at all. The grease fittings had a bit of grease on them as if they had been greased but the inside of the rubber bushings and the band were dry as a bone. looks like the dealer just smeared grease on the fittings to make it look like they were greased. I wonder what else they didn't do? Thanks for the info.
Ross

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

No lubricant at all. The grease fittings had a bit of grease on them as if they had been greased but the inside of the rubber bushings and the band were dry as a bone. looks like the dealer just smeared grease on the fittings to make it look like they were greased. I wonder what else they didn't do? Thanks for the info.
Ross

Must have been an engine that was supposed to have a Mercury decal put on it:)

pvanv

Admiral

Ross

The "Dealer" probably didn't touch the motor. Many of these small motors [of all brands] are sold through catalog-type "dealers". Most of those mail-order or internet-only-based dealers frankly have never seen most of the motors they sell, and in fact don't even know if there is a motor in the box, or just some concrete blocks. They take your order, process your credit card, grab a box from the pile that is supposed to be that model, and toss it in the UPS or FedEx bin. Then they are done.

Maintenance, including lubrication [crankcase oil, LU lube, and grease], is still the responsibility of the owner. So those dealers get away with it. And the customer gets a lower price in exchange, since there is zero dealer prep cost.

Detail nut

Cadet

The "Dealer" probably didn't touch the motor. Many of these small motors [of all brands] are sold through catalog-type "dealers". Most of those mail-order or internet-only-based dealers frankly have never seen most of the motors they sell, and in fact don't even know if there is a motor in the box, or just some concrete blocks. They take your order, process your credit card, grab a box from the pile that is supposed to be that model, and toss it in the UPS or FedEx bin. Then they are done.

Maintenance, including lubrication [crankcase oil, LU lube, and grease], is still the responsibility of the owner. So those dealers get away with it. And the customer gets a lower price in exchange, since there is zero dealer prep cost.

I understand about internet "dealers" but I bought it in person from a San Diego full service dealer because my old motor crapped out 85 miles from home on my way back from the Newport to Ensenada race. I even had to wait an hour while they "preped" it and test ran it as part of the sale.

pvanv

Admiral

I would mention your situation to the dealer. You should, after all, be in the 3-year warranty period. At 2 years of age, I would expect that you would have had oil and LU lube changes as well as chassis lube a couple of times already, and possibly due for an impeller check or wp kit change. Did the motor get the last 2 off-season maintenance sessions?

Detail nut

Cadet

I would mention your situation to the dealer. You should, after all, be in the 3-year warranty period. At 2 years of age, I would expect that you would have had oil and LU lube changes as well as chassis lube a couple of times already, and possibly due for an impeller check or wp kit change. Did the motor get the last 2 off-season maintenance sessions?

Thanks, that's a good point. Since I bought the motor in San Diego, 85 miles from home, I had it serviced just once by my local motor shop. (We don't have boating seasons here and sail year 'round, actually there is more racing in winter than in summer here.) Obviously they didn't do it either.