Nissan NSF5A2S 2: Need guidance for long shaft to short shaft conversion

ahoymate

Recruit
Hi All,

I have a 2004 Nissan 5hp NSF5A2S 2 4-stroke long shaft outboard. It has only 4 hours on it. After posting an ad on Craiglist, found someone with a 2002 Nissan 5hp 4-stroke outboard in the opposite predicament and he is willing to trade LU's with me. I know I am going to need the service manual, so I will be calling the dealer to order it today. My buddy who is an auto mechanic is going to help with the actual surgery.

Just wanted to know if anyone can provide instructions or guidelines on how to get this done, what parts shall be needed (if any), and give an estimate of the time/effort involved.

Thanks!

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan NSF5A2S 2: Need guidance for long shaft to short shaft conversion

Why not just swap motors, and be done with it? Everything is identical up top. As always in Tohatsu/Nissan land, precise model/serial trumps model year. Likewise, when setting a value, condition trumps model year (7 years compared to 9, what does it matter?).

But, if you want to spend an hour or 2 swapping stuff out, you will swap the entire exhaust housing, driveshaft, upper shift rod, and water tube. So you will be disengaging the shifter, dropping the LU, popping off the powerhead, and swapping those parts. You will want a new base gasket 3H6610120M GASKET, DRIVE SHAFT HOUSING $3.48 when reinstalling the powerhead. If you do spend the effort, consider installing a new WP kit, 369873221M $42.67 while you have the LU down