Honda 90 fuel problem

i'm on the west coast of Mexico and just bought a 23 ft. Panga with a 90 Honda 4 stroke... the man i bought it from bought the boat and motor new then had a medical problem and had to sell the outfit after only running the engine 4 hours in the past year...we checked it out and the motor sounded and ran great ...the day i bought it i had to drive the boat about 25 miles down the coast to our home base... about 10 minutes into the trip while running the motor at 4000 rpm the engine rpms started going from 1000 to 3000 all by it's self ...when i throttled back the engine it smoothed right out and we were able to run about 3000 rpm with no problem any time we tried 4000 rpm the engine would start cycling again..i noticed that the squeeze bulb had flattened out when we were having the problem so i think the engine is starving for gas at high rpm... i took the gas cap off and it still did it ... could a air leak in the gas line cause this? does anybody have an idea what the problem might be?
thanks in advance oldgringo

mobi1

Recruit
Re: Honda 90 fuel problem

try without the squeeze bulb in the line.

tomtnwlkrs

Seaman

Do you mind sharing what you found? I am having the same problem.

Thx

dboyd351

Cadet

Bad check valve in the fuel pickup or the primer bulb, perhaps? Might also be crap in the tank getting sucked up against the fuel pickup intake.

i knew it had to be something blocking the fuel to the engine before the squeeze bulb so after checking everything i found a kink in the gas line ...it was starving for gas when running over 3500 rpm.. she purrs like a kitten now! :)