OK to use clear vinyl fuel line temporarily?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't easily find the grey opaque fuel lines for the inside of my 8HP Honda BF8A, that run from the fuel connector to the pump to the fuel filter to the carb. I will eventually be at a boat supply store to get the proper hose, but not now. It seems to be 3/16 ID. I want to replace it as the prev owner had it sitting for a few years, and want to make sure no varnish, dried rubber, etc. will cause me problems.

Is it safe to temporarily use the clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot to test the motor, in my basement "test tank" (aka garbage can full of water)? Could use of this cause any damage? The lines don't seem to touch any of the motor's block, where maybe heat would be an issue.

Thanks, Peter

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: OK to use clear vinyl fuel line temporarily?

Really bad idea that every experienced tech has done at one time or another:) If it isn't USCG approved you shouldn't use it, but....

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe just remove the hoses that are in the motor, clean out the insides with some solvent or carb cleaner, re-install in motor, probably nothing wrong with them. You can replace them later with the real marine fuel hoses from the Honda Outboard shop. When you have them off, measure length and diameter so you'll know exactly what to buy. Good Luck!

robert graham

Admiral

You can clean the hoses by pulling a small piece of fabric soaked in carb cleaner through each one with a piece of monofilament fishing line. That way you'll know they're clean!

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

All great info, thanks.

I did finally find what hose part to order, seems to come in 300 cm (around 10 ft) bulk length.

I was advised to replace these, as the motor had sat unused for about 2 yrs before I bought the boat. The yard mechanic seems to think that these hoses (as well as those from the gas tank to the motor) dry out, particularly when unused, and minute bits of the rubber could mess up the carb. I guess for $20 of hose, good for maybe 5 replacements, it pays to be safe.

What's the consensus opinion - is his advice good, or is it overkill?