2005 Tohatsu 6HP water pump help

Mike_Berry

Cadet
I took the lower unit off with no problems. I replaced the impeller and for the life of me i can't get the lower unit all the way back in. The shift rod isn't hitting at the top before it goes through the hole. I'm not in far enough to where the water tube that goes into the pump housing isn't hitting yet. It's acting like the main shaft splines aren't going in. I tried turning the motor over very slowly and also tried turning the prop with it in gear. It won't go in. Any idea's guys?

Thank you

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2005 Tohatsu 6HP water pump help

It takes patience and a particular feel to get the shaft to align with the crank. If it's not aligned right, it will clunk against the end of the crank. Sometimes walking away and having a cuppa joe, then going back at it is all you need.

Mike_Berry

Cadet

I walked away from it and went fishing today. I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks

Mike_Berry

Cadet

I started over today and low and behold it slipped right in!!! I couldn't wait to fire her up. But now...... I can't get it to shift. I pulled the unit back off and can't shift it by manually pushing in or pulling out the shift rod. It only moves about a inch either way. It seems like it's stuck in reverse. It's a very low time engine and shifted just fine before I took it apart. Any Ideas?

Mike

pvanv

Admiral

Keep in mind that the motor is not designed to shift unless it is running, as the driveshaft has to be turning in order for the clutch dog to engage.

The shift rod only has about an inch throw, so you may be OK. You do need to adjust the brass rod coupler so that you get full R and full F when operating the handle. Typically that is when the coupler is near the snap ring. If you have both the handle and the LU in the same gear as you snug down the coupler, you are probably close enough.

To check whether you are in gear, you can turn the prop by hand. If it freewheels, you are in N.

Mike_Berry

Cadet

Thank you but I understand all that. When I turn the prop by hand the shaft turns so it's in gear. If I push or pull on the shift rod by hand and turn the prop it won't shift. Shouldn't I be able to do that?

pvanv

Admiral

Yes, you should be able to operate the rod by hand. It does require a fair amount of force. Does the rod move at all?

Mike_Berry

Cadet

It does move about a inch. It also turns. I was thinking it came off someplace where it's suppose to sit in the case. When I look at the rod that comes down from the shifter and switch from fwd to new to rev it moves a lot more.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The upper shift rod runs from the shift handle to the shift coupler. The lower shift rod runs from the coupler down and ends with the cam on its end. Nothing can come loose on its own. By any chance did you pull the lower shift rod out of the lower unit?

Mike_Berry

Cadet

The upper shift rod runs from the shift handle to the shift coupler. The lower shift rod runs from the coupler down and ends with the cam on its end. Nothing can come loose on its own. By any chance did you pull the lower shift rod out of the lower unit?

I understand every thing you said. I didn't remove the shift rod. I didn't mess with it at all. The only thing was i loosen the shift coupler to remove the lower unit. It's very simple how it should work. The thing that seems weird is you can turn the shift rod. I would think it should hook on something in the lower unit but I don't know. I tried to find a manual but can't find one. Maybe I can get one through Iboats.

Attachments

• DSC03654.JPG
    DSC03654.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03653.JPG
    DSC03653.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 0

pvanv

Admiral

Any dealer, including me, can get you the Factory service manual, Part # 003-21034-1, $26.52. The lower rod operates a vertical sliding cam (via roll pin) that pushes of the push rod in the prop shaft, which operates the clutch dog. You may have inadvertently pulled it way up and out of its socket. You can release the nylon bushing on the LU to get the rod out, so that you can orient the slope of the cam towards the push rod (aft), but it may be a wee bit tricky to reinstall it without taking out the prop shaft housing.

Mike_Berry

Cadet

Darn it. I ordered a seloc manual from iboats last night. I'm sure the factory manual is much better. This manual covers 2.5hp all the way up. Maybe I can return it. Thanks for all your help.

pvanv

Admiral

The Seloc manual is OK in a general way, but the Factory service manual is specific to the 4/5/6 and has particulars for settings that are unique to that motor family, making it far superior.

The shift mechanism in the LU is pretty straightforward; The shift rod causes the cam to push on the push rod and associated bits in the prop shaft, and that activates the clutch dog to select whether the A or C gear (or neither) drives the prop shaft. If you want to, you can pull the shift rod bushing out (one bolt for the retainer) to see how it operates. Likewise, you can pull the prop shaft housing out to see how it all engages. Be advised that it is fairly easy to drop the push rod when extracting the prop shaft housing, and that the housing may be a bit recalcitrant coming out due to salt/crud built up between it and the LU housing.

Mike_Berry

Cadet

I would like to get the factory manual. I need to cancel my order. If's it's too late I'll return it. I also need a manual for a 1995 Yamaha 85. C85TLRT. Can you get me a factory Yamaha manual? Thanks again for your help.

pvanv

Admiral

I would recommend a Yamaha dealer for the Yamaha manual.