Honda BF 50A (2000-2001?) Cooling System Not Peeing (Mud Bugs)

vatalon

Recruit
I've replaced the impeller and hooked up water. System runs but no water through exit point on cooling system. I get water bleeding out of the small holes on the lower unit. I've taped everything. When I had the lower unit off, I blew pressurized air but nothing comes out the exit point. Am I going to have to completely tear down the engine? Could it be the thermostat? If so where is it located? Any recommendations? No Honda Dealer for man many miles and was hoping it was something I could fix myself. Motor has sat idle for over a year but problem started before then. Would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda BF 50A (2000-2001?) Cooling System Not Peeing (Mud Bugs)

I've recently gone through this process with my Johnson kicker (i have a Honda main engine). Although your engine is different, there are several common areas where you might find a solution.

I used water from a garden hose - forced up the water uptake tube. If water is coming out anywhere, you can see it.

Check the top of the water uptake tube. there is a rubber grommet/fitting that can get out of position and block flow. If this is where the blockage is, you may have to remove the power head to get at it.

You could also try to poke weed-eater line up into the tube in case a blockage can be dislodged.

Find the thermostat housing (Maybe someone else can advise location of yours, or search on-line parts diagrams) Remove the cover. It's a common place for gunk to accumulate. With water forced up the uptake tube, it should flush out debris through this location.

You can check the thermostat while you have it out. (heat it in a pot of water to make sure it opens correctly) Mine was badly corroded & questionable, so I put in a new thermostat kit.

You didn't mention the tell-tale. You could use air, water, or weed-eater line to check/clear blockage.

Others have recommended removing the exhaust plate to check water passages underneath.

The blockage in mine was in the tell-tale section. The rubber hose from the block passes through the carburetor housing, through a 2" passage in the aluminum - this section has a smaller inside dimension than the hose and it was totally plugged with salt/crud.

vatalon

Recruit

RadarRick,

Thank's for the weed eater line idea! Ran it as far up as I could and got it cleared. It clogged up a few more times and I just shut it down and unclogged it again. I'ts running a little ruff and sputters like its missing and will not stay at high rpm's without sputering and shutting down. My SELOC Honda manual does not do a good job when it comes to the cooling system, plus my marine mechanical experience is nil so I was mistaking the carburetor drain line for the teltails because I thought there were 2, not 1!

For the missing, what do you think I should check next? Change spark plugs, drain carburetors?

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to hear that the water is flowing again.

I had some issues with not idling. I did a basic cleanout of the carb - new float, float valve, gaskets, etc. I soaked it with carb cleaner, then blew out all of the passages (those that I could access) It made a big difference - it now idles down very nicely.
The jets & orifices get gummed up easily. In your case, this could cause the rough running at higher throttle.

There could be other causes, such as bad coils, bad points, plugs, etc.

I'd start a new thread with the rough running problem. You'll likely get more thorough advice.

cvherb

Recruit

From cvherb
the thernostat is located on top of engine left hand side faceing rear of engine. It is a small sq./ rectangle cover held on by a couple of 10mm screws may be 3. You may have a muddobber in there or a chunk of empeller. be careful and save gasket. You can put thermostat in pan of water & see it open when you heat it up if it works. DO not run with out it motor will run to cool & wear rapidly. Look at this website go to honda marine not honda outboard. select Honda first line Honda Marine 2nd line & way down to BF50AX LHTA it will show you a parts list click on arrow & select parts group you want,( Cylinder block) Item 10 (this is a Honda parts book).
http://www.dixiemarinesaleshonda.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx
Caution never run with out being in water. water pump will last 5 sec. I bought a used one like this 2 mo ago & this is what I found (ruined seals in lower pump housing that let water in foot grease & empeller was gaulded to pump.
Herb
hope this helps