Honda Shift Shaft help!

AirtekHVAC

Cadet
So I got my replacement (used) lower unit. Got a problem...

Everything looked ok...shifted from forward to reverse by wrapping a rag around the shift shaft splines and turned with pliers. Well, somehow I pulled slightly up on it, and the shift shaft slid out about (4) inches...I noticed that there was a groove in the shaft, and I instantly knew that the "E" ring was missing, and I was not supposed to be able to remove the shaft. Unfortunately, now, it pulls right out...all the way. Looks like it pulled out of the shift cam. The foot is now in gear, although I do not know which one, I can turn the prop shaft clockwise facing the prop end.

My question...can I remove the shift shaft seal, and realign the shift cam (somehow), or am I screwed, and will need to disassemble the lower unit to get it back together?

It is a Honda BF75AT...75 HP...1994/1995...The foot is supposedly a 2003, but it is a dead nuts match to my old one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jlh29

Cadet
Re: Honda Shift Shaft help!

Yes, you just need to pull the seal holder and align the shift cam in the slider. There should be a spring, washer and e clip on the shift rod under the seal.

AirtekHVAC

Cadet

Thank you!

This kept my mind occupied most of the night!

I appreciate the reply!

AirtekHVAC

Cadet

Well, I took the seal cover out, and as I suspected, the E-clip was left off. The big problem is that I could not see the shift cam down there at all. I can only assume that it has rotated out of position. I turned the LU upside down to drain all flid, and the shift cam is not visible. The LU is in gear...I just don't know which one. Looks like the foot is going to have to be disassembled, unless anyone has any ideas....:(