1992 nissan 8hp 2 stoke mixture

Chadgro

Cadet
Is the mixture fixed at higher rpm and only ( high speed jet )
And adjustable for idle only? The plugs looked pretty wet after running in trash can. could this mean that i should lean out the idle. the plugs after years of use had some black crust on them and tend to get wet with oil and or gas.
I baught it used and am just trying to dial it in.
Thanks for any advise. I will be using it on a sail boat ( it is a long shaft)

Oh yeah how do i adjust the idle mix if i should?
Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 1992 nissan 8hp 2 stoke mixture

Year of manufacture is not important for servicing. Precise model/serial is critical. What is your model? I am assuming it's NS8B. Is that right?

If so... The power section of the carb has fixed air/fuel mix. The low-speed/idle a/f mix is adjustable using the mixture screw. Adjustment procedure is in the Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me.

Plug conditions (when testing in the tank) can be misleading, particularly in a low-speed, high thrust application such as a sail aux. Slight wetness on the plugs, especially if running a bit cold, is not unusual.

BTW, there are 2 HT 4-blade props for that motor (7" for light loads, and 5" for heavy) that help the low-speed control and REVERSE in sail aux applications. If your boat weighs 4-5,000 pounds, the 7" works well. For heavier loads, the 5" is better (I have one on my 9.8 on a 7,000+ pound boat)... and will make the boat/motor perform MUCH better.