Honda 15 not cooling

Badger's Island

Recruit
Hey all. I posted before regarding the waterpump problem. I changed the impellor and it still won't push water up thru the enginge. I tried without the theramastat and with. It appears no water is going thru the thermastat housing at all. I have flushed and see no blocks at all. Any Ideas??? thanks

FLETCHER170

Cadet
Re: Honda 15 not cooling

I had the same problem on a johnson 140, changed the impeller and still no water. Ended up changing the housing also and problem solved :)

Did you make sure the woodruff key if they call it that was fitted corectly in the shaft to the water pump? Small piece of half of half moon shaped metal to engage the shaft to the impeller.

Badger's Island

Recruit

Yep key is in place. Also the housing looks to be in great shape. Was aware of the fact they can warp etc... under heat. Water should be flowing out of the thermastat housing if I am correct?

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the lower leg off, can you force water up the water tube? It doesn't take much pressure. I used a nozzle on a hose and held it to the bottom of the tube.

My cooling lines were partially plugged, so water would not come out of the tell tale until I unplugged them.

I have a different outboard, but operation should be similar.

Badger's Island

Recruit

yep I have forced it down from the thermastat opening and it purs well out the pee hole. It seems to flow well thru the hole damn thing. might have to take it to the doctor. :confused:

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more suggestion before you go to the clinic...

If the water that you apply with the hose is flowing every which way (pee hole, thermostat, water uptake tube) when the leg is off, it sure sounds like there may be issues with the water pump other than the impeller.

I would check once more the pump housing, gasket, woodruff key, water intake screen and where the uptake tube fits into the pump.

It would be helpful if someone can suggest a means of testing the water pump with the lower leg off.

Chadgro

Cadet

I hear you can put the lower end in a shallow bucket while off of the engine and spin the shaft with a drill (clockwise from the top) to see the water come directly out of the pump.careful not to damage shaft etc.
You might want to wait for someone to confirm this concept but it sounds good to me.