Lots of gas in Oil-Nissan 2stroke nsf8/9.8

MarksNissan

Cadet
9.8 2 stroke wouldnt start on the lake. Removed cover and pulled the rope. I saw gas shooting out the metal screen where the carb air intake is. Gas is pooling on bottom panel where the engine is. Got home and checked the oil. When I pulled the oil dipstick out lots of gas poured out. Removed oil plug and more gas came out with oil. How could so much gas be in oil? Is the needle or float stuck? What do you suggest? I was going to buy a service manual and rebuild carb. Is it similar to a cars holly carb I did back in the day? What do you think?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Lots of gas in Oil-Nissan 2stroke nsf8/9.8

Gas in the oil = Wrong oil
Engine not reaching operating temperature
Excessive idling
Engine not broken in correctly
Damaged fuel pump diaphragm

Gas shooting out the carb = Varnish build-up. Engine not being run out of gas after each trip
Trash in fuel

MarksNissan

Cadet

Ok so rebuild carb . Bad gas sitting in the card. I will now remove the gas from the engine if I dont use longer than 1 wk? Is that standard?

Damage fuel pump diaphram is the likely cause of so much gas in the 4 strokes oil? Is that a gasket or plastic housing that seperates the 2?
I will be buying the service manual this wknd to determine if im taking it in or doing it myself.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Smart money says to run the gas out with every use. Everyone has the intention of using their boat the next weekend, but, crap happens and the next thing you its been two months and then its tooooooo lateeeeee.

The diaphragms can go when the fuel line/tank is left connected to the engine. The heat expands the pressure in the fuel tank, it has nowhere to go except through the fuel pump and that busts the diaphragm.

MarksNissan

Cadet

Thanks Elvin for answering my questions. I learned alot of what not to do today. At least its on the 9.8 instead of my 140 horse...
One more question . I have an inboard tank for my other motor. Johnson 140 2 stroke. If i put that marine stable in the gas and it sits outside for the winter say 4months Dec to March is that gas ok or am I taking a big risk using that gas?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

On a small tank its a no brainer to dump the gas rather than keep it. With a built in tank stabilizer is a must and you want to keep the tank full.

pvanv

Admiral

Elvin is right on the mark.

The NSF9.8A3 could burst a fuel pump diaphragm if the fuel tank has the vent closed and sits in the blazing sun -- causing a lot of pressure.

Often, fuel dilution of the oil is from idling a lot when very cold, not breaking in the motor properly, overfilling the crankcase, running oil that is too heavy, over choking, or a stuck carb float dumping extra gas. Or any combination of these things.

Most prudent thing to do is run the carb out of fuel after each use.

Use NMMA FC-W rated 10w-30 oil, and don't overfill, not even a drop. Always check the dipstick when changing oil -- some oil typically gets left in the motor, so just dumping in "about" 3/4 of a quart is a great way to overfill the crankcase. During the first 10-20 hours of break-in use, half way on the dipstick is plenty.

The Factory service manual, Covers Tohatsu/Nissan 8A & 9.8A 4-stroke models Part # 003-21056-0 List Price (MSRP): $26.52, available from any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer is the best for these motors, though some of the Japanese translation is less than perfect.

If the carb needs cleaning, it must be completely disassembled, and submerged in a good carb dip such as Tyme, for 4 hours, then rinse it out and reassemble it, checking float height (which is usually perfect on these plastic floats).

If you do diagnose a bad fuel pump, a new one is available: 3H6040004M FUEL PUMP, 4/5/6/8/9.8 4-STR ONLY $55.70.

Modern gas starts spoiling within 30 days, especially in a naturally-vented tank. Years ago, we used to top up all tanks for winter storage, but now we prefer to completely empty them. A good stabilizer, such as K-100, helps, if used in the proper ratio, and added religiously when the tank is filled, but adding stabilizer to old fuel doesn't do as much good. If the fuel should become phase-separated (where the alcohol/water drops out), there is no reasonable way to "put the genie back in the bottle", and the whole load of gas is then junk. When winterizing in the fall, the gas from the boat can be used up in the car or truck, even pre-mixed 2-stroke gas. Dumping a couple of gallons of 50:1 gas in with 10 or 20 gallons in the car tank does not hurt a thing, and you at least get to use up the old gas before it spoils.

MarksNissan

Cadet

Elvin/Paul
I apreciate the info. I got more out of this site than all of my buddies/mariane shops combined.
I left the gas tank in the blazin sun for about 2 wks. The red stable I had is about 4yrs old. I bought new marine stable but its to late.I will definitely remove the gas line next time from the 9.8. Didnt know about blowin the diaphram. Now I know gas is good a max of 30days.
I saw 3 repair manuals online to buy.
The official Nissan Factory service manauls (the most)
Clyde repair service manuals and Seloc service repair manuals. Im brand new to marine engines but I can hold my own with a car. So in your opinion Which of the 3 manuals would be best for explaining/illustating how to rebuild the card replace diaphrm/fuel pump?

pvanv

Admiral

The Factory manual.

Fishn4Funn

Cadet

jumping in here, you said "If the carb needs cleaning, it must be completely disassembled, and submerged in a good carb dip such as Tyme, for 4 hours, then rinse it out and reassemble it, checking float height (which is usually perfect on these plastic floats)."

and now I'm wondering do these have adjustable or fixed lo/hi speed needles?

pvanv

Admiral

Nope. There is a low-speed mixture screw, but due to EPA requirements, it is set at the factory, and then sealed off from access with a pressed-in plug.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Always run carb dry after use and if possible comsume the most gas of the tank used for that outing, refill with fresh fuel for next one and so on.

Happy Boating