fuel problem with 50hp tohatsu

boatyJD

Recruit
I have a 50hp tohatsu i just recently bought second hand.it starts fine, idles fine, and gets on the plain fine, but when i give it a decent amount of throtel it goes well for a short time, maybe 10 seconds then loses power, if i drive with the throtel on on 3/4-full it surges fast then slow fast then slow, im thinking it could be the fuel pump? or fuel tank? any one got any ideas?
cheers,
JD

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: fuel problem with 50hp tohatsu

You have to run tests to determine the problem or you can clean the carbs as a wag.

boatyJD

Recruit

is there any other option than to take it into the shop? as im a bit tight on cash atm and i also enjoy working on my outboard :)

pvanv

Admiral

What model? If it's a TLDI, the factory service manual is a must. If it's an old carbed 2-stroker, the appropriate factory service manual is still a good idea. You need to diagnose whether you are have a fuel or ignition malfunction. If a carbed model, odds are it's a fuel delivery issue -- start by cleaning carbs, and checking out the fuel pump and filter; If a TLDI, you can get a lot of data from the ECU memory to help in the diagnosis.

boatyJD

Recruit

its carbed, i have taken it apart today and cleaned out all the carbs and tightened all hoses etc, will take it for a spin tomorrow and see if that done the trick

pvanv

Admiral

Remember that a proper carb cleaning means complete carb disassembly, and a 4-hour soaking in carb dip. Just blowing it out with carb spray is not effective enough on varnished organic deposits.

During reassembly, it's time to check all carb settings, including float height, and to sync the carbs and ignition per the Factory service manual.

All this is good maintenance, but nothing replaces a proper diagnosis. You might luck out, but if you don't do the diagnostic tests, and continue to work "in the dark", YMMV.

boatyJD

Recruit

Ended up taking it into my local marine mechanic, turns out the oil injection wasnt working, so hes disconnected it so now ill haveto pre-mix my fuel,
thanks for the help anyway fellas

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Your symptom doesn't match the cure....Be afraid, be very afraid.