Is there a way to pin the steering straight on a 6HP Mercury/Tohatsu?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
I posted this last week in the Mercury forum with no hits or replies so I thought I would try here since my Merc is a Tohatsu with a different paint job.

I have a 2007 long shaft Mercury 6HP on the back of my sailboat and I have a interesting issue with it. I normally use it for motoring off my mooring and usually use my rudder for steering. As such I have the steering friction cranked in to keep the motor centered fore and aft. The only time I loosen the steering friction is when I need vectored thrust for pulling into a tight dock and such.

My issue is even with me hand tightening the friction adjuster hand tight the motor will pivot to one side slightly due to its vibration. That leaves me to use the rudder to counteract the motor. I have tried several times to tighten it up by hand and it will eventually pivot. I don't want to strip or break the bolt by using pliers on it. Is there any way I can pin the motor so it stays centered?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is there a way to pin the steering straight on a 6HP Mercury/Tohatsu?

To my knowledge Tohatsu has never been in bed with Merc with the exception of the 3.5 horse that they seemingly made for everyone.Is this a 2 or 4 stroke?If you are trying to adjust that tensioner with pliers you will certainly screw something up.You may have more luck at a Yamaha thread if this is a 4 stroke 6 hp.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The friction adjustment is intentionally designed so that it will not "lock" the engine to a single position. The workaround for the last 27 years has been to tighten the adjustment bolt and to use a bungee cord to "lock" the engine straight. Tohatsu never wanted the liability for someone locking the engine and then running into something and blaming them:) There is a new model coming out shortly in the 4-5-6 frame that will incorporate a true steering lock as well as a longer tiller arm and a couple of other changes.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Just an idea, your engine must have a handle with 2 small holes at it's side, if so, get a large rope same diameter as holes, attach one extreme to sailboat side, as picture, so both knots holds handle tight at both ends, tight other rope extreme to other side of sailboat, adjust friction screw as usual, this will help engine turning issues to a side.

You could use cables, the ones used to hang clothes after wash, don't know if making tight knots under handle would be an issue though. Just center and tight well side ropes to have engine pushing straight forward. If you can place quick release systems on both side ropes would be ideal, so to unlock engine fast for quick response on tight port maneuvers.

Happy Sailing

Attachments

• Handle Rope.JPG
    Handle Rope.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 0

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

To my knowledge Tohatsu has never been in bed with Merc with the exception of the 3.5 horse that they seemingly made for everyone.Is this a 2 or 4 stroke?If you are trying to adjust that tensioner with pliers you will certainly screw something up.You may have more luck at a Yamaha thread if this is a 4 stroke 6 hp.

I believe this is a Tohatsu type motor. As far as I know the Mercury/Nissan/Tohatsu 4,5,6 HP 4 stroke engines are identical, just painted different with a different sticker.

No, I haven't used pliers. I had wanted to avoid that which I why I made this post.

Yamahas are a different breed than these. The exhaust is a dead giveaway. Yamaha small motors have the exhaust come out above/behind the prop. The Tohatsu go through the prop, which is what my motor is.

Tohatsu Guru - Thanks for that explanation. The liability issue never dawned on me. I'll use a rope to help center it. I'll keep an eye on the the future models. Would be nice to see if I can retrofit those parts to my motor, especially the longer tiller handle. :)

Sea Rider, I will use a rope to help center this thing. I have a cleat on my transom gunwhale that is in a great spot for this.

bruce40

Seaman Apprentice

Merc, Nissan and Tohatsu are all made by Tohatsu. (under 40hp)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Merc, Mariner, Nissan
2.5 to 50 HP (2 strokes)
2.5 to 30 HP (4 strokes)
Since 1998 are Tohatsu made in Japan

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Who makes what for who varies by country and year and is always subject to unannounced change. The Tohatsu-Mercury relationship began in 88 with Tohatsu making a few models for Mercury. About 92 or 93 they began making a few more models for them and when the EPA started to make noises Mercury and Tohatsu entered into a long term relationship that evolved into both of them forming a joint real-estate company called TMC. Basically, that company bought land, built a building and bought some machinery. Then TMC leased the building to Tohatsu for Tohatsu's exclusive use. IE No Mercury involvement in the plant other than an occasional tour and consultation over Mercury paint color or any Mercury cosmetic change. With the demise of the Yamaha/Mercury relationship Mercury began buying more models from Tohatsu and Mercury began killing off most of the duplicate production they were doing themselves on older models. Today, in the U.S., from 30 hp and down, Mercury's are Tohatsu's. As you go around the world you will find some 40 and 50 Mercury models are also Tohatsu re-labels.