Honda 50 Oil Pressure

Johnv

Seaman Apprentice
I started my Honda 50 after 2-3 weeks of not using it and it started fine. As I went to trim the motor from full vertical position the alarm started to beep. I left the motor in the down position and it ran fine. Afterwards I checked the oil level thinking it was low and to my surprise the dip stick was covered in oil most of the way up, even after wiping it and trying again. The oil was at the correct level when I changed it this spring.

Could a bocked oil filter or failed oil pump result in the reservoir being so full. I plan to drain oil this weekend and replace filter, but wondered whether anyone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks for any help.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 50 Oil Pressure

A blocked oil filter or any other restriction will not cause a buildup of oil in the pan.Incomplete cumbustion due to cold running or poor carbs will cause this engine to wash out that oil and offer up your symptoms.If you have a carb that is running that rich you will usually see some runnability issues.Fuel quality also is a consideration.Are you sure the alarm you are hearing is an oil alarm and not a overheat or tilt alarm?

Johnv

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for this information. The motor seemed to be running OK, but I will change the gas. The beep was intermitent and started as soon as motor was started so didn't have time to heat up. Have since checked that oil pressure light is green so should be good for oil pressure.

Is there anything else I should do to get oil throughtout system? Should I drain oil and refill?

thanks for any suggestions

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you have a tilt alarm going off.Look at the tilt sender to make sure it is not stuck or broken,then move on up to the tilt module and disconnect your ground to that unit.If the alarm disappears ,you have a faulty tilt module.Nothing new.

Johnv

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for this. Disconnected tilt module and changed gas and things appear to be fine. Tilt module appears to be frequent problem for many owners.