6 hp Tohatsu engine oil leaking out of lower unit/shaft

2006 6hp tohatsu 4-stk

Well i spent $165 on service at a local dealer thinking the problem was fixed. (milky lower unit oil)

I just had a new seal, impeller, and screws put on the lower unit.

I took it home and still noticed clear oil leaking and busting out the screws in the lower unit............and dripping. So i did a little test, whipe down the lower unit clear of oil, drain the engine oil, re fill with 15oz's and check level. within 30 mins i had it dripping out of the lower unit and the level wasn't even in the "full" range on the dipstick. clean and clear engine oil out of the shaft.................keep in mind the motor is running 100% flawless at this time.

is this a known problem? sounds like an expensive fix............it can't be due to misuse can it? I take care of my motor.

My dad is going to be pissed off when i break the news that our shop didn't fix it........wish motors had longer warranties.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 6 hp Tohatsu engine oil leaking out of lower unit/shaft

What is your model? Probably MFS6A2? Sounds like you had two distinct problems, and the obvious one (LU) was fixed, leaving the crankcase oil leak.

Probably a lower crankshaft seal on the powerhead. Could also be the pan gasket.

Unless... If the motor was transported on the wrong side, crankcase oil could leak out, coating the driveshaft and exhaust housing, and even though you wiped down the outside of the leg, a fair amount would still be weeping out of the water pump area for some time.

I would carefully fill the crankcase to a specific mark on the dipstick and let it stand there for an hour or so, then check the level. If the level drops, you are losing crankcase oil. If not, the mess may just be remnants from laying the motor on the wrong side.

It's never been layed down it is just a leak, The motor stays locked down on my transom vertically and has been for a couple years now. Not sure the exact number but its the 15" short shaft 6 hp.

If it is the powerhead/pan gasket is that going to cost me a ton to fix?

pvanv

Admiral

Did you take the whole boat to the dealer to change the LU seals? If so, then there coundn't be a "laid on wrong side" problem, and you therefore must have an oil leak.

The procedure to change the crank seal involves pulling the powerhead, so figure at least 1/2 to maybe a full hour labor (at whatever the hourly rate is in your area), plus the parts. Same labor for the pan gasket.