Tohatsu M15C water pump amd LU seals

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Tohatsu 15 hp manual start, Model M15C How do you disconnect the shift linkage so I can pull the lower unit and change the water pump and seals

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tohatsu M15C water pump amd LU seals

Remove upper spring pin by means of a long metal pin same diameter, and a plastic mallet, hit softly untill pin is out.

Happy Boating

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

what is a spring pin. that is a new one to me, I see in the gear shift linkage a deal with two pins and rubber deal and a cotter pin, the whole thing moves the lock that holds the motor down in reverse

pvanv

Admiral

A Factory service manual, available from any dealer, can help you here. The reverse lock mechanism rides on the brass rod coupler. The stainless roll pins attach the brass coupler to the upper and lower shift rods. You need to disengage the rods to allow the LU to drop away.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

There is only one dealer here in Miami and almost no one speaks english, This is only the second Tohatsu motor I have seen down here in forever. Miami is Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Johnson land.

We need prop shaft seals and what ever other seals are needed to seal the LU, plus a water pump kit.
Wtare pump kits I can find on line, LU shaft seals ?????

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

This is what you need to do, free upper spring pin, you can buy parts from Pvanv or TG, comes as repair kits. If water is found mixed with oil, check if prop housing bearings are ok, if ok, change interior O rings, seals, same with water pump parts.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Shift Rod Joint.JPG
    Shift Rod Joint.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 0

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

pvanv, I sent you a private message, did you get it????

pvanv

Admiral

You can call my office at 716-877-8221 and I can take your info over the phone.