honda bf225 oil alarm?

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class
is there a way to reset the oil alarm on hondas? just did an oil change, it is full and the oil alarm wont go away. the oil pump is definitely pumping oil... it filled the filter immediately upon start up. thanks!

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: honda bf225 oil alarm?

Please excuse what might be a dumb question, but are you sure it's an oil pressure alarm you're getting? On the old Hondas (not sure about the new ones) a steady alarm horn was an indication of either low oil pressure or high temperature. You said nothing about how you were running it after the oil change or whether you had good cooling water flow. In any event, the BF225 has a computer readout that can tell you precisely what is causing the alarm if you have the capability of reading it. Good luck, let us know what you find in the end so all can learn from your experience.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

it turns out it wasnt an oil alarm but apparently a water pressure alarm. my friend was the one working on the boat, and he called me over to help. i just took my friends word for it that it was an oil alarm, i never got in the boat and looked. i guess on the hose it wasnt getting enough water. when we put it in the water today, there was no alarm and no problems.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

mpsyamaha - Thanks for closing the loop on this thread. Now we all know a little more about the alarms on a BF225. :)

gss036

Commander

I am to the point that I don't try to run my 225 on the hose for flushing. Lucky for me, the local boat launch has about 75 psi right of the hose so it really shoots the water through the engine for for flushing. I know some of the old wrenches say that you don't get as good a flush unless you run the motor. I don't think I am buying into that theory. Any ideas welcome!

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

gss036 - IMHO, as long as you're flushing the outboard motor by running it, it's not the pressure of the washdown water supply that's important, but rather the volume of water flow available. My rationale is that the outboard's water pump will supply all the pressure that is required if the volume is available. After all, when the outboard's water pump is pulling cooling water from the ocean/lake/river, that water is not pressurized more than a psi or two, and likewise if the outboard's water intake is immersed in a barrel or tank. Again, IMHO, I would ensure use of an adequate diameter hose for the flush, and as long as there was a solid stream of water constantly flowing from said hose, I'd think one would be good to go. Of course if the hose just dribbled water, that would be insufficient volume.

I often see the local USCG flushing the twin BF225's on their Defender Class boats using a hose to supply the running motors. They seem not to have any problems. I would not trust flushing my motor solely with a hose and the motor not running since that does not flush the water pump area.

Just my 2?.

gss036

Commander

I guess that my next question would be, WHY are the hose bibs built into all the new motors? My Yamaha also has one.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hose fitting receptacles provided on outboards allow flushing most portions of the engine with the engine shut down but logically such flushing water must be introduced downstream of any thermostats since none will open under cold iron conditions. The consequence is that portions of the cooling system upstream of the thermostats, like the water pump area, will not be flushed. (Note that in the case of connecting to a hose fitting receptacle to flush a shut down motor, the flushing water supply then must have sufficient pressure to overcome the check valve, a different situation than when the motor is running and its own water pump provides the pressure.).

Again IMHO, I would not trust flushing my motor solely with a hose and the motor not running. By solely I mean exclusively - and here I'm thinking ocean/sea water use. If you boat exclusively in fresh water I see no problem flushing solely with a hose and the engine shut down, but if you boat in the ocean then IMHO you should flush using "ear muffs" and the engine running, at least some of the time, to rinse out the impeller/pump area of your outboard. Just my 2?.