25 pulls to start 8HP Honda?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a BF8A, approx 1991 to 94 vintage. New to me. Motor wouldn't start first time I tried it, and I had it serviced. Apparently prev owner had not used it in maybe 2 yrs, so carb was gunked up. They cleaned it, put in new plugs.

It has been very hard to start, takes a good 25 or 30 pulls, I'd guess, maybe even more. This is when cold, fully choked. I have pumped the bulb until it is hard. After all this pulling, it fires a bit then maybe 2 pulls later it starts. It has tended to stall at idle, particularly when shifted into gear. I did screw in the idle stop screw slightly, thinking maybe the idle speed was too low - seemed to help the stalling, but I suspect idle speed is a bit fast, making slowest boat speed (throttled all the way down) a bit fast.

I haven't found any posts on hard starting yet. I wonder if there are a few typical causes? Gas (10% ethanol, 87 octane) is fresh (like 1 week old). Engine did run fine at moderate RPMs, for maybe two hours while we were cruising, so fuel seems to be flowing OK at speed.

Mark SF

Seaman
Re: 25 pulls to start 8HP Honda?

I think I would be checking the choke mechanism. Is the pull out choke knob actually activating the choke? Maybe it is maladjusted. Has the cable stretched?

On my engine half choke won't start it. Needs full choke so it wouldn't take a huge amount of mis-adjustment to do the trick.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! I will see if there is anything obvious with choke knob connection.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Some people have had engine failures issues when using etanol mixed with standard gasolines, seems produces corrosion & rust on some internal components and rubber, plastic related failures on carbs, hoses.

Happy Boating