New Tohatsu 6hp gear stuck, motor won't start

karinostebo

Recruit
Hoping someone can help me. Bought a new 6hp 4 stroke Tohatsu outboard 6 weeks ago. Yesterday I went to start it and the engine jerked to the side. Normally when I go to start the motor, I shift it into forward, neutral, reverse then back to neutral just to make sure I am in neutral BEFORE starting it. Well I couldn't get it to go into reverse. I am thinking it is stuck in a gear. I took the cowling off to watch the movement inside while switching gears and it won't go into reverse. Then after fiddling with it for a while, I can get it to go into reverse. I put it into neutral and it started. Then same thing happened again today where it wouldn't start? Any ideas?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: New Tohatsu 6hp gear stuck, motor won't start

You are in warranty. Your local dealer should be able to help you.

Sounds like two issues here.

First, you cannot be assured that you can shift into any gear at all when the motor is not running. It is a mechanical clutch dog mechanism, and requires the shaft be turning in order to shift. There is a spring-loaded ball check that you can both feel and hear as you click into and out of neutral, so if the shifter is clicked in N, that should be all you need for a neutral confirmation.

The other problem could be the neutral safety mechanism. There is a spring-loaded nylon recoil disabling ratchet mechanism on the top of the recoil that jumps down when the motor is in gear, locking the recoil spool so that you can't pull the cord when in gear. If you do inadvertently try to pull the recoil when the safety is engaged, it could latch the safety mechanism down. Probably shifting to N will clear that condition, but it will require some effort. Think of setting your automatic-transmission car in Park when on a steep grade.

karinostebo

Recruit

Thank you for responding. So, I must be technically in neutral since I have no trouble pulling the cord. I really don't want to deal with a local dealer since they take forever to return an outboard it seems. So, what do I need to look for...can you point me in a direction of where I should be looking and if it is a simple adjustment or something needs to be replaced?

pvanv

Admiral

Start by diagnosing the fuel and ignition systems.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

As Paul said, you really need to get it into a dealer for evaluation and repair. Warranties are there to be used, you paid for it when you purchased the engine.