Nissan 40D water pump question and conflicting info in OEM Repair manual and Owner's

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
1) Received my OEM manual and a water pump kit which i plan to do at end of season winterising. Preparing by reading manual and comparing to OMCs that I have done, there a few differences.
My one concern and question is the "special factory tool" to remove the 3mm. split pin. Is this going to be a nightmare to do without the tool, if I really need it, do I just buy it from the dealer?, or is there a reasonably safe "McGyverism" using , say, two bobby pins and a stick of Wrigley's juicy fruit?

2) Unless I am misreading or just misunderstanding, my owner's manual (came with the motor) says that 87 octane is fine....my new repair manual (the OEM/Tohatsu one) says at least 91 octane.
Any comments and/or advice on that one?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan 40D water pump question and conflicting info in OEM Repair manual and Owne

The shift rod coupler roll pin can be driven out with a conventional drift "punch". We use the Tohatsu special punch to drive the pin out, but prefer channel-lock type "water pump" pliers to reinstall it in most cases.

If using the "Nixon Number" octane system, 87 is fine. That's the average of "Research" octane and "Motor" octane. The difference is that "Research" is a laboratory number, and "Motor" is a real-world number, typically lower. In the US, we usually see "R+M/2 Method" or what we used to call "Nixon Number" octane. So a fuel sample could have a Motor number of 83, a Research number of 91, and a "R+M/2" average of 87.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Nissan 40D water pump question and conflicting info in OEM Repair manual and Owne

Another reason is that the owners manual has existed far longer than the new service manual...Think in terms of pre alcohol fuel versus the crap you get today.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the info Gents; completely answered both questions! :)