Honda 9.9 4 stroke dies on idle

makassiouk

Cadet
Hello, everyone.
The engine is generally healthy and what bugs me the most, has JUST been overhauled by a good mechanic, which included cleaning the carb, after which it started on 1-3 pulls and ran like magic.
Today I went fishing for the first time after not using the boat for about 3 weeks. The engine started fine (with 2/3 choke), I let it warm up a bit, with little-to-none choke. Idle was a tiny bit rough, but nothing major. When I set it on idle for the first time, it ran for about 3 minutes and died. Since then I could only start it with either choke or some throttle and it'd always die quite soon on idle or close to idle. When I try to start it warm with no choke, it'd sound as if it catches and dies off immediately.
The plugs are 1 month old and adjusted, oil's in order, no detectable problems with the prop or anything else.

I have a suspicion it might be either condensate or some grit in the fuel tank, which was stored in a rather damp place for 3 weeks, half full (although tightly closed). What should I check and is there a way to condition the fuel somehow to remove condensate and clean out eventual b/s from the carb without major mechanical work (I really don't want to pull the boat ashore before autumn)?

Thank you!

makassiouk

Cadet
Re: Honda 9.9 4 stroke dies on idle

Today I drained the carb by opening the drain screw - and even pumped a little gas through with the primer pump - that's what my mechanic told me to do - didn't do a bit of a difference. I also took a little test trip going for about 10 minutes on full throttle. After that the engine was able to idle for about 4 minutes and died again. Looks like giving it the full throttle "buys" some idle time...
Any other ideas for what to attempt next before hitting the shop?

boxcar

Recruit

I have a 1985 B100L 9.9 4 stroke with the same problem. I am going to watch this thread for a solution and if I come up with something in the meantime I will let you know.

ldelaune

Recruit

i have the same issue with an bf100 i switched gas tanks same problem i no the carb is cleaned,my next step will probable be looking at the fuel pump

Ebower

Recruit

Hello all,
I ALSO just purchased a Honda B100L and it does not pump water, so I need to buy Water Pump and Impeller Repair Kit. Ayone know which OEM part number this is or which part number from iboats it is? I call iboats and also checked on line, but they said that the do not carry this kit, which I can't believe. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks.

ldelaune

Recruit

I just got back from the river and finally it ran great, a the main jet was clogged,awhile back I had a problem with water flow the pump and impeller was fine it was the thermostat.the part #s I have 19300 881-741 is the thermostat and 1gasket I couldn't save 12517-881-003

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know if its related to above problems, but I have a Honda 9.9 also and it never started very well imo, but since I started adding the Marine Stabil to the gas, it seems to start, hot or cold much better. If you have ethanol gas, it will absorb water out of the air OR out of the tank, up to a point and then it can't hold anymore.

boxcar

Recruit

What is the proper tuning procedure to set the idle jet screw?

1985 Honda B100L.

Thanks.

makassiouk

Cadet

Just wanted to send a little report. Since I hated the idea of losing another month in service shop, I just turned up the idle screw, and it never had the problem again. I don't think idle is too high, at least it doesn't kick too much when put in gear, so I'm probably leaving it at that.

Newbluefin

Recruit

I had the same problem this summer.
It was great for a few days then starting acting up on idle or minimal throttle.
I suspected bad gas. I've had way too many problems in the past with old or bad fuel. Stabil fuel stabalizer did help but the biggest difference came whem I pulled the idle screw right out and cleaned it with carb cleaner and a swab dipped in alcohol . I even stuck a swab into the idle screw hole to clean the rubber seat. After messing with the idge speed a bit (I too set it slightly high) it was fine after that.

Good luck.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I think a lot of these fuel problems show up when a tank of E10 gas gets run through there or sits in there for the first time. The ethanol disolves things that gasoline does not. I just put the marine stabil in everytank now.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Good for you .People fail to recognize that that 9.9a and 15a are designed to idle at 1100 rpm.Those 7.5s 100s A 8As need to idle around 1200 .Keep in mind this can vary from boat to boat and change with situations in the boat.If you are lugging these units they WILL idle poorly,foul plugs ,and at that point,become hard starting.

makassiouk

Cadet

Well, mine has actually become very hard starting.
That, though, started after a while after my "fix" with turning the idle revs up. Does it mean tuning up the idle did something to the plugs?
Matter of fact, I did even pull the plugs and looked at them, but, well - for a newbie it doesn't really say so much.
Hondon and others, could you please elaborate on this and give me more information on what to check?

mtrijs

Recruit

Have had similar problem with my 8 hp outboard (4stroke as well), however, after a while, the engine sometimes revved at full force after starting, with the throttle having no control at all.

I notice the following:
The gas handle is limited mechanically by metal rods at the front of the enging. You'll notice how when you watch the engine when you switch from neutral to forward gear, a rod clicks back allowing for more throttle. This rod can be adjusted by undoing the screw holding it in place and moving the throttle.

I assume you can adjust the revs when idling by adjusting this rod, allowing a higher rev that would prevent the engine from stalling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because the revs on my engine are out of control again...

Best, Maarten

Jeremy'shonda

Recruit

Hello gentlemen,
I just purchased the honda b100L 4 stroke. It has not been run in a long time. Though the motor is super clean and everything seems to be in order. I runs good, but I can't get it up to full throttle. I have it on a 14' alum boat. I have notice that when I am trying to drive full throttle and I keep squeezing the primer ball, I get allot more rpm's out of it. Otherwise it is pretty sluggish at full throttle(in gear on the lake) (the quarter turn of the trottle either does nothing or bogs it down more). In nuetral and slow speed it works great. Maybe it is the inline fuel filter? Maybe it is the fuel pump? Maybe I need to take the carb apart and clean and soak it? Someone please advise. I have only worked on 2 stroke johnson/evinrude's. I really like this little motor, it purrs like a kitten. I would like to get the most out of it is possible. Thank you. Any help is much appreciated.

Uncas21152

Recruit

Early on in this year?s boating season I noticed that as I was idling through my marina to get to my dock my 2004 Honda 9.9 would stall out. It has an electric start, so I would just push the button and it would start right up. Then after 1 minute and 17 seconds it would stall out again... I would work the boat starting and stalling into the dock. I took my boat to Cutter Marine in Middle River MD for repair. They are the authorized Honda Dealer where I bought the engine new in 2004. They replaced the thermostat for $245 and told me to come and get the boat. I turned the engine on and after 5 minutes it stalled. I started it back up and in 1 min and 17 seconds it stalled again. I went back to the office and told them that I wasn't accepting the engine as repaired. They said that they would take a look at it.

Two more weeks went by and they told me to come in and pick it up. (This was the week before Irene hit the east coast and they needed the dock space. Cutter Marine is a Hurricane shelter) They put a new fuel pump in the engine and charged me $475.00. The total now is $720.00.

I started the engine and let it run for 20 min... It didn't stall! I motored back to my marina and put her to bed. Hurricane Irene missed the upper Chesapeake, but because of the storm and a lot of debris in the bay I didn?t take my boat out for 2 weeks.

The next time I went out I had a great day of sailing, but when I entered the marina I idled it back down and it stalled again. I started her back up...1 min 17 seconds later it stalled again.

I have been in contact with Honda through this whole ordeal. They told me that they would be in contact with Cutter Marine. Cutter tells me that Honda never called. So after the last episode I called Honda again for a recommendation. I told them that I have no faith in Cutters ability to fix my engine and I would like to know of a repair service that has the ability to repair my engine. Honda asked me to fax my receipts from Cutter. I did. Russel from Honda does not return my calls now. I am out $720 and my 9.9 still stalls at low RPM. I contacted a lawyer who told me that there is no statement on the receipt from Cutter Marine that guaranties the repair so I don't have a court case.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this engine?

Beware of Honda dealers repair services.. before they touch your engine make sure there is a warranty for the repairs?. Believe me from my experience with Honda USA you are on your own!