New to Honda 4 cycles -- just bought '99 50 hp tiller

Tahoejeep

Cadet
Well, I hope I made a good choice! I sold my 1983 35 hp Evinrude to my wife's brother-in-law and am picking up a 1999 Honda 50hp tiller. Electric start, power trim and tilt w/ foot control. The dealer is mounting it on my 16' Lund Angler and setting it up for $3200 plus tax. Did I do OK or is that a bit high? This IS northern Minnesota with 1007 lakes in this county alone, so it seems used outboards hold their value pretty well.

Anything special I need to know about Honda's? Looks like I have 3 quarts of Amsoil HP Injector to sell, now. :rolleyes:

Tig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New to Honda 4 cycles -- just bought '99 50 hp tiller

It's a nice motor very quiet idle although I do find it quick for pickerel (walleye) trolling. Fine for musky or pike.
The carbs have great little drain valves and spigots that you can push a hose on to drain with no mess. Use these drains when ever the motor will be unused for an extended period. Otherwise you may find the idle circuits get gummed up.

Tahoejeep

Cadet

I took it out for a spin last week right after they mounted it, and found it would not idle at all-- at least what passed for an idle was very rough. Took it back to the dealer and they went through the carbs (cleaned them) replaced the fuel filter and when tested again, they decided it had a bad fuel pump, so they are waiting for parts. It seems funny the fuel pump would be bad because once I got it running, it ran very strong -- moved that little 16' right along at a pretty good clip!

I should get it back early next week. We'll give her another try then.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, fuel pump is an odd diagnosis, but then again I'm not familiar with the Honda fuel pump.
Once I set up my carbs and then balanced them my 50 started much better and idled nice. Idle should be 950 RPM. I was set at 600 for a while but it had some rough moments. Could be my carbs are still a bit dirty