Honda 35 Hp idle issue

tfish38

Recruit
This is my first post here. I've learned a lot looking at variuos post. I now need help with a 1994 Honda 35 Hp that has idling issues. This motor is my mom's. yep, my mom's..she 70 plus and is still able to get out and go fishing. The motor has been idling rough for about 2 years now. She's taken it in to several shops and they have tuned it up, put on a water seperating fuel fliter, cleaned the carbs and have dumped plenty of fuel additives into the fuel tanks. But, it still idels rough. Reading through some of the posts here in the Honda section..it looks like she needs new jets and the carbs set.
None of the local shops have been able to fix the problem. I live about 60 miles north of San Francisco. Does anyone know of a good Honda shop in the bay area?

Tony

Tig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 35 Hp idle issue

What is the idle RPM set to? Should be 950
For fishing I like it lower but it's not as smooth.
Honda carbs seem to have a reputation for gumming up if not drained before a layover. Does the motor get regular use?
MY Honda had issues. But balancing the carbs seems to have cleared that up. I also plan on getting an ultrasonic cleaner this fall so I can clean my carbs properly.

tfish38

Recruit

Steve, Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what it's idling at right now..but it is a pretty high idle when to roughness goes away. To high to troll at. It used to have a very nice slow speed to it. My mom uses the boat twice a year..for a month at a time at lake Shasta. She is great at running the gas out of the carbs when she gets home..I know because I'm usually the one that helps her back the boat into the garage. She always makes up new tanks of fuel before each trip. Regular use? Maybe, every otherday when shes out camping twice a year for a month at a time.

Tony

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like she takes care of it. It's a shame that it's not working well. Those mikuni carbs had a reputation for clogged low speed passages.
I was mumbling about mine today when it would not start. Turned out that a bolt fell off of the choke linkage. :redface:

tfish38

Recruit

Well my mom finally found a place that was able to fix her motor. When she called them to make the appointment, she told them of the symptoms and asked them what they though it was. I had given my mom a list of cut and pasted items taken from the Honda forums here at iboats.com. They told her that the idle jets were probably clogged and all three carbs need to be rebuilt and then synchronized. (just like the list I gave her). They told her it would be about $600. She took the boat in and picked it up in 3 days and she says it now "purrs like a kitten now". She's spent around $2000 at other places trying to get the problem fixed, and none of them were able to fix it. She's 72 years old and camps and fishes a lot by herself..( I go when I can). I would like to thank and recommend Myer Marine in Redding California http://www.myersmarine.com/ and they only charged her $450.

Thanks Myers Marine!

and iboats.com!

Tony