2008 Honda 90 blew out plug

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone any experience with this issue .... I know Honda has had problems in the past with car engines blowing plugs due to galvanic corrosion between the alu head and the steel plug .... of course the Honda marine guy here says he's never seen it before but they always say that no matter what the issue is. This particular boat is run 8 hours a day every day for 8 months of the year mostly at WOT. So the plugs get changed twice a year.

So this is a little after 2 years running as above.

I'd like to hear any input ...also I'm thinking a BIG SERT or KEEN SERT would be a better fix than using a HELICOIL ???

Thanks

Spaceman

Cadet
Re: 2008 Honda 90 blew out plug

Intrepid Voyager and all the techs and helpers; Thank you. UPDATE on the '08 Honda 90s saga #1. The mechanic successfully installed a heliocoil w/o having to take off the head (whew). BUT #2. The water seals leaking were caused by a scored main shaft . Not only the water seals on both shafts BUT also the oil seals as well. Whasup wi' dat??? It appears to me the shafts are of an inferior quality material and possibly not designed well. If anybody has any feedback or helpful suggestions , I would greatly appreciate it. PS: this all relates back to the starters getting wet for the last 2 years as referred to in serv bul. #26 . Mahalo from Kauai..