Water pump help on a nissan 3.5hp

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all

Just got a engine from a trade with a friend. M3.5B2 is the model number. Needed some info about the engine and mabey from the video can you tell me if this motor is "pissing" enough, doesn't seem like alot of water coming out.

If it does need a water pump, is it easy enough for me to do it myself? How much would it cost to replace the whole water pump area the right way 100%? (I already did my 1989 Mercury 150 XR4's water pump before)
Is this all I need?
http://www.internetoutboards.com/partdetail.asp?id=113

Now all I need is a good jon boat :)

Thanks,
DamianJP

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Water pump help on a nissan 3.5hp

Yes, that's the kit for a 3.5B. The part number is superceded to 3F0873220M. MSRP for the kit is $33.42. Perhaps their kit is expanded to include the 3F0650160M CASE, WATERPUMP-3.5B, MSRP $21.35?

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks pvanv !!!:)

Gonna grab a manual too,should pay for itself.

1)As for the water pump job for this motor, is it easy? I see there is 2 areas the water pump could be mounted vertical and horizontal. Which do I have?

2)By the video, is the motor pissing fine?It pees like that all the time, mabey alittle better when it gains RPM but not much more.

3)How hot does this motor run, so i can check it with a infared temp checker?

Hate to shoot more Q's at ya but I don't want to seize this bad boy up.

Thanks again,
DamianJP

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

This engine pees poorly at idle, just water dropping down by inertia, pressure and peeing amount increases in proportion as the throttle is increased.

Before changing impeller, strip cowling plastics off, remove peeing hose, and insert a thin wire all the way up engine several times, if lightly obstructed by salt, will free it and have a much better peeing look.

Looking at the video, the amount is right at idle, increases a bit when increasing speed, your model pump is mounted horizontal, no need to change it, at least right now. This model doesn't use a thermostat.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

Thanks pvanv !!!:)

Gonna grab a manual too,should pay for itself.

1)As for the water pump job for this motor, is it easy? I see there is 2 areas the water pump could be mounted vertical and horizontal. Which do I have?

2)By the video, is the motor pissing fine?It pees like that all the time, mabey alittle better when it gains RPM but not much more.

3)How hot does this motor run, so i can check it with a infared temp checker?

Hate to shoot more Q's at ya but I don't want to seize this bad boy up.

Thanks again,
DamianJP

Be sure to get the Factory service manual.
If it is a B model, the pump is on the driveshaft, mounted on top of the LU. The A model has the pump on the prop shaft, ahead of the prop; The A's are a start-in-gear design, so the pump will turn at all times when running.
The stream looks typical of many 3.5's, but could be a bit better after a new pump is installed. As it is, nothing to fret.
These motors typically run in the 160F range. If you use an IR thermometer, you will see the hotter and cooler areas. Crankcase/inlet area will be a couple of degrees cooler than the cylinder.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks!! pvanv and Sea Rider

You guys set me up with the info I need, Thanks big time.:D

I did what you said with a small wire while the engine was off, and then when it was running. Seemed like there was some salt and/or crap cause it seems better now. I'll try and post a video of it to compare.

I used to borrow a Nissan 2.5A and had it on a flat back canoe. It ran great!! Plus I had my 30lbs. minnkota on the front of the canoe for when I got to my spot. Best economy rig, fish all day and cover alot of water with a few bucks in gas. Now with the 3.5B I cant wait to get a small jon boat and do the same.

Once again thanks guys,
DamianJP