03 nissan 40hp- too much oil?? how do i adjust air and oil?

vilemd

Recruit
i bought a pontoon with 03 nissan plus 40hp. this is the one that mixes oil and gas. the guy said he had no problems with it. when i bought it i told him to turn on motor and keep it running while we talked for 10 min. it stayed running no problem. he said he used boat maybe 5 times in the last year.

so first thing i get it on the water and i change the spark plugs. they looked like they had alot of black stuff on it, it was kind of thick. but it ran fine when he fired it up so i was like must be fine

when i got it into the water i did have to start it 2-3 times but then ran fine. went about mile or two to the sandbar and it ran great , espeically on top end. when we went slow it started dieing. after an hour we left and i almost couldnt get motor started but it did start finally- got to dock to drop off poeple and it wouldnt start. when i pulled out the choke it did start right up but then would die again. got new plugs and put them in with the choke and finally got it to start up. buddy said they plugs seemed fouled after just that short trip. wondering what i should do.

with this being a motor that mixes it self. is there a way to find out if its getting too much oil??? also how do you adjust the air?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 03 nissan 40hp- too much oil?? how do i adjust air and oil?

What is your precise model? Oil mix is probably correct. If you needed choke to start a warm motor, something seems lean, and you may need to do a proper carb cleaning. A Factory service manual is available from any Nissan/Tohatsu dealer.